My son is 18mnths old and has recently started being able to climb out of his crib and let himself out of his room. We were given a toddler bed and he enjoys napping in it and playing on it but whats the best way to get him to SLEEP in it for the night? We already plan to get the extra railings to put on it since he does fall out occasionaly during a nap but are there any other suggestions?

Dantes door doesn't latch closed so it's also easy for him to let himself out of his room when he doesn't want to be in it. Last night we decided to put both of the baby gates on either side of his door so that he couldn't roam if he got up which worked out well since at 7am I was awoken to him pulling and crying on the gate to be let "free" and also to have his diaper changed. My husband and I want to take the crib down but we're just not sure if we're completely ready for however many possibly sleepless nights it may take Dante to get used to his new bed. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

sexy.mama2583

Asked by sexy.mama2583 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• with my daughter i took her with me to pick out bedding and new big girl jammies. the only way she could use them was in her big girl bed. so we went home, took the crib down put up her big girl bed and put the new bedding on it, that night she got to wear her new big girl jammies and has never ever complained about it. she would occasionaly get out of bed in the middle of the night and still will, but that is more a matter of she can get out instead of being stuck in the crib having to cry. so we also put a gate on her door that way if she gets up she can't get out of her room, and if she decides to attack the gate and knock it down its usually loud enough to hear her
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• that's how i started my son, i had him sleeping in his toddler bed at nap time. my dd was born, i needed the crib so we ended up taking the crib out and just putting him in the bed at night. he was just fine in it. no problems. also, see if he'll sleep in it without the railing...you'd be surprised at how much they move but they don't fall out. that was my main concern as well, so i put some pillows beside the bed just in case. he never fell out once. as for the gate, good idea, i was going to mention the locks that go over the door handles but that doesn't look like it'd work :)
    Anonymous

• oh i forgot to mention, i had him out of the crib at 16 months, since your son is older he may understand better?
    Anonymous

• My son was about 18 months and we switched him to a toddler bed. He didn't have any problems at all...although he does get up at night and come into my bed. I don't mind him coming in my bed...so it's not an issue for me. I'd say go ahead and switch him to the bed and use the gates so maybe he only has access to your room from his if he gets up and needs you.
    fpraglowski

Answer by fpraglowski at 9:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Do alot of talking , and talking up him being a Big Boy and big enough for the bed. ( might do this for a week or so before you go to get the bed )Then do as Vabchmommy take them to get the bed with you , let him be there while you take the crib out and put the new bed up. Try the PJ thing to sounds good ( I didn't have to do this but sounds good) Best luck
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 9:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• There are all kinds of security things you can get for this type of stuff. I saw one that you can put on the bottom of the dorr that makes it to where they can't open the door from the inside but it can still be opened from the outside. Thath stops the child from opening the door, but not you from getting to them. You can look in the baby asile at Walmart or ask at a local hardware store or baby store.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• We had a similar problem with our son when he climbed out at 22 months. The rewards (i.e. new sheets, PJs, etc ) didn't work since he didn't understand the concept. First thing I'd do is fix the door so it closes tight (I know, this dpeends on what the problem is but unless it stays closed, you're going to have problems). We also put a gizmo on that prevents kids from turning the knob (Babies R' Us and other stores carry them). Since our son wouldn't stay in the room alone, we sat in the room with him and told him he had to stay in the bed (endlessly repeated). We left if he didn't stay. Eventually he got the idea and now plays in his room for a bit then climbs in and goes to sleep. Key is to make the process boring so you aren't entertaining him.. Good luck!
    Anonymous