can u pump ur milk when your pregnant?

Just wondering lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• some women do . they save it .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Anonymous

• I would talk to your provider. Some women say that you can breast feed while pregnant, but nipple stimulation can cause contractions which can eventually lead to premature birth. The stimulation releases a hormone in your body that is the natural version of pitocin. I would talk to your doc before trying.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• The nipple stimulation from the pump can cause contractions and send you into labor. You should be very careful.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• beckcorc said it best, is it possible to pump? Sure. Should you? Thats up to you and your doctor
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Hi, I've nursed through three pregnancies and have done quite a bit of research on this. Yes, you can absolutely pump your milk, and since the supply often dwindles in the middle of the pregnancy (no matter what you do to keep it up) it can be really helpful to have some stored for your still nursing toddler.  Unless you have a history or risk factor for miscarriage or premature birth, there is no reason to believe that nursing or pumping will bring on labor prematurely. This is a common belief that is not supported by research.

Please check out these links (a reputable resource, with references cited for you to follow up on) by copying and pasting them into your browser:

http://kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/01safety.html

http://kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/05pumping.html

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• No! You are risking preterm labor, and for what? The risk may be minimal but I dont see any good risk to take it. It's very different from nursing through a pregnancy as your body is used to the hormonal release.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I'm not pregnant ladies, I was just wondering lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Is pumping really stimulating your nipples, though? My daughter's lactation consultant says that it doesn't. She told my daughter that the reason why her milk supply dwindled was because she didn't force her newborn to her breasts often enough to stimulate the milk, because by pumping alone they do not get stimulated.
    I think a lactation consultant is the best person to ask.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• prydferthmenyw-the pump is not as efficiant as a baby but still stimulates the nipples. Some women respond to a pump more than others and some pumps are more effective than others.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 13, 2009