how much does/did your 1 month old eat?

My daughter is formula fed, and she constantly acts like she wants a bottle, i wonder if i should up her ounces? or if something else might be wrong with her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son ate 2 ounces every 2 hours... but he was 5 weeks premature so at one month old he wasnt even technically term yet. Feed her more. If she doesnt throw it back up theres not much to worry about. Recently after a visit with my sons GI doctor following a post op I asked him about becoming failure to thrive. He said 75% of babies that become failure to thrive AFTER one month of age become so because somewhere along teh line mom adn dad were told they were overfeeding their baby. So just follow your babies cues and if she looks hungry feed her. There was a point where my son wanted 4 1/2 ounce bottles. Yup he was weird. Not 5 ounces, not 4 ounces but 4 1/2 ounces. She may just need a little bit more
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• i have been giving her more at night time because that seems when she gets fussy and just wants to eat eat eat. she started eating 4 oz when she was about 2 weeks old.. well now shes 5 weeks and a little hog. lol. sometimes she eats fine and doesnt throw it back up, and some times she does... i think she likes to just suck, but refuses to suck a paci... but when she gets really upset and does the little i'm hungry cues my husband or i will give her another bottle but it'll only be 2 ozs... i'll just try strictly giving her the 6 oz ones at night..
    Anonymous

• and thank you for your help
    Anonymous

• I have a strange little one as well. At 4 weeks I would make a 4 oz bottle every 3 hours. sometimes she would down all 4 and sometimes she would just drink 1.5. Now at almost 7 weeks she is on a bizarre eating schedule. The first bottle in the morning is 5 oz, the second is 2.5, the third is usually 3, the forth is 4 oz and the nightime one is 6oz. Just go by what your baby wants
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:42 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• At one month my son was drinking 3 oz every 3 hours. Bottle fed babies shouldnt be fed as much as breastfed babies. Yes they say to feed on demand, but not closer than every two hours. And that is a difficult schedual to put your self on if its not needed.Not to sound mean what so ever but babies cry also because of gas, wanting to just be held, cuddled rocked, you name it. Many different reasons. I would try some different things before always resulting to a bottle. If she is spitting it back up, its prolly too much and that isnt the problem. Some babies just spit up, mine is a spitter, and will spit no matter what sometimes. But I have a paper that says 0-2 months 6-8 feedings a day 2-4 ounces. And it is proven that giving your child a bottle every time they cry, or when theyre not really hungry, teaches them to soothe themselves with food. Every baby is different just dont want you to over feed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2009