therapy dogs

i want to use my dog as a therapy dog. she is the perfect candidate for it. what i wanted to do was take her to senior centers and take her there for them to touch and hug. to help them feel better. what i wonder is do i have to get a license for this? it would be all volunteer work no fees charged. would me just calling some places and asking if i can bring my dog in to do this be enough? can't find local info on this on internet. though maybe someone on here does this

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Pets

• I have one service dog in my house and a therapy dog in my home, i have a second dog going for her therapy dog certificate. FIRST thing is you need to get your dog Canine Good Citizens Certified their your American Kennel Club. Then they will be eligable to be SCREENED by a local therapy dog agency. If your dog is deemed appropriate for therapy work , your dog will need to take classes to achieve its Therapy Dog International Certificate, usually the therapy dog group will help you arrange for these. Once your dog has its certificate , it can get its therapy dog vest (usually green) and patches and can start working with therapy dog groups .
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 9:32 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I know they have certified therapy animals. So technically I think they should be certified, but if you call around to local nursing homes you may be able to arrange something with them. You will of course have to prove the dog is up to date with shots. I know when I worked in a nursing home while in college they had a "bring your dog to work" day. Also I rescued a litter of kittens and was allowed to take them in to visit the residents. You would just have to ask them. Good luck, that is a wonderful thing to do!
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 9:49 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Getting your dog certified as a therapy dog is actually a pretty simple and inexpensive process. However you could just call senior centers and meet with their directors with your dog to avoid red tape. My mom was teh director of a childcare program that was part of a foundation that offered many different services one being assisted living. Her office was in one of the assisted living buildings and she rotated her 5 dogs turns to come to work with her once a week. The elderly residents LOVED it and looked forward to Nancys dog day each week. One sweet man grew very attatched to one of her dogs (which was actually mine) who deeply resembled a dog he had owned previously. Both teh dogs and the elderly benfited
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• www.happytailspets.org  is a great place to start.  It is a wonderful thing to have a dog in any pet therapy program!  Happy Tails is a national group so I hope there is one in your area.  If not perhaps they can recomend another group to you.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Okay I lied. I thought they were national but apparently they are just local to me but maybe they can still help. I will keep looking.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009