Entering kindergarden testing

What do they expect a child to know who is entering into kindergarden?My son's school is having sign up's on the 22nd of april. I am hoping that my son is ready. He goes to the elementary school already through their K-4 program. I want to review with him before the test.

zachysmommy04

Asked by zachysmommy04 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• well each school is different, but normally it's being able to tie thier shoes, write their name, know their address and phone number, knows, recognizes and knows the sounds off all the letters in the alphabet, knows and recognizes numbers, knows how to count, shapes (and not just the basics either, shapes like octagons and pentagons, ect), colors, can do a puzzle, ect. depending on the school, they may even want them to write a sentence, maybe even read a sentence, know their vowels,ect. these days kindergarden isn't just playing and naps, like when i went to school, which wasn't that long ago. they actually have to know alot at that age. GL
    Anonymous

• They test kids in your area before KINDERGARTEN? Sorry, I can't help you. They don't do that here, and I would be appalled if they did. Kindergarten is not even required in our state.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I didn't know that they tested kids before K. Its not likely because they would not allow him to enter, but more likely to know where to place him. Theres not much they expect them to know because thats the point of kindergarten. To teach him these things. They probably just want to see what he does know. I wouldn't make a huge deal of it. Its not like he can fail it or anything. If he didn't know anything, he would be fine, but if he knows colors, numbers, letters and maybe a few sounds, then hes probably ahead of the game. My 7 yr old doesnt even know how to tie his shoes....LOL...but he reads on a 3rd grade level. I credit his teacher this year for most of that. Shes so awesome and has done a great job preparing him for his standarized tests this week.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:47 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• they dont test kids here. and i dont think they EXPECT kids to tie their own shoes here until 1st grade, but i know they would like them to do it.

we even have full day now! so my SS will be doing full day. we went to round up last week. he got to meet al the kindergarten teachers (obviously they dont know which one he will have), we turned in registration paperwork, got his physical form for the doctor and dentist, turned in his shot records, signed up for him to ride the bus with his sister, took a ride on the bus and learned about bus safety, oh and we filled out a form for the teachers so they know more information about where my SS is when it comes to letters, numbers, etc and what we want him to know by the end of the year. it took us about an hour to do everything.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My son is in a private school & before acceptance he was tested..writing from the board, pennmanship, letter recognition, writing his name, doing simple math, reading, recognition of sight words, basically it was pretty intense for a 4yr old kid in pre-k at the time. He is now 6yrs old and in first grade but last April, while in Kg he took his first standardized test (the SAT) and score almost a 3rd grade level at age 5. Sometime I feel like the kids are being pressured when I see the class curriculum...he is already adding and subtracting two rows of double digits, he is just about a 4th grade reader at present, knows words in science like herbivore ..learning verbs, nouns, adjectives,, his workload is on the level of a public school 3rd grader. He masters all school challenges. Next week he takes the Stanford 10 test and I am anxious to see his scores. I say if your child can take it go for it , it is very competitive.
    sexymommyrb

Answer by sexymommyrb at 10:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Our kids here tested before kindergarten, but it wasnt to see if they were ready, it was to see whaere they were currently and what needed to be a starting point in the class. Like if all the kids knew their colors, they obviously didnt have to do much there, or if they knew basic shapes they could go to more complicated things.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:35 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• They don't test here before Kindergarten. Since it is not a required grade here all children are accepted. Tying shoes is typically not a requirement of any grade. My son is gifted and in the 1st grade and for some reason cannot tie his shoes. He can read at a 5th grade level and do basic algebra but when it comes to shoe tying he is at a loss. Thankfully, the schools have evolved somewhat and go based on maturity and academics and not if a child can tie their shoe like when I was young.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• None of my kids were tested before kindergarten. With my oldest we had just moved to town and went over to the school the week before classes started and signed her up. Then we moved right before my son started kindergarten 2 years later and again we just went to the school (this time a Catholic school) and just enrolled them. There were no test.
    And for the one that mentioned being tested...OMG. My son could barely do those things AFTER kindergarten. He would have never made it in at 5 1/2. Neither would my middle daughter who is in kindergarten now. They are just now starting to work on addition and she finally recognizes all her letters but can't read or anything.
    And none of them were required to learn to tie shoes. My son just figured it out last month at 7 1/2. They always have velcro shoes so it was never an issue.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:50 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Here they tested for basic knowledge...alphabet, count to 10, basic shapes, basic colors and for being socially ready. They also gave a quick evaluation for fine motor skills, gross motor skills and speech skills (checking if they might need services)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009