Need advice

I'm 15 weeks and 2 days and i've decided to smoke my last cigarette before i go to sleep tonight. My doctors told me about not quitting because it could send my body into shock and hurt the baby but something tells me i've gotta do it. Does anyone have any tips on how i can keep my stress level down and stick to my decision? Or is it not a good idea to quit completely? i'm the type who gets really angry when i dont have a cigarette=[ I just cant stand thinking about how every time i hit a cigarette, it's going to my baby too.

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Cut down on your ciggaretts...thats all you need to do..just cut down on them...
    When you smoke a cigg, your blood pressure rises (mine was at 140 today and i had my first cigg in 9 months (yeah i was doing sooo good) and when your blood pressure rises, your blood vessles constrict, causing the baby to get less blood flow and they "gasp" for oxygen...

I quit cold turkey when i found out i was pregnant (i was 6 weeks when i found out)

But definitly try to cut down REALLY soon, and then eventually you can quit..as far as stress goes, your going to have stress even if you had ciggs...you can try to take a bath when your pissed off, try to vent too..scream into a pillow, it does make you feel a hell of a lot better...

<33
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 10:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• most docs suggest not quiting cold turkey. don't stress yourself out trying to go cold turkey b/c if you are stressed than your baby is as well. i quit totally with my first, and found out that if i just lit the cig and took a puff then i was fine after that. its just that intial release that your body is looking for, try that if it makes you feel better. i also found the further along i got the less i wanted them anyways, they would make me sick to my stomach which made it easier to quit
    Anonymous

• I have never heard that QUITTING will HURT the baby. I have heard that NOT quitting will though. In fact my county offers a program that PAYS pregnant women to quit smoking! I quit cold turkey. I wasnt pregnant but for me I got angry thinking about all teh money I was quite literally lighting on fire and watching burn. I foudn avoiding activites that I usually smoked helped (ex hanging out with friends who smoke of joy riding) and replacing that cigarette with soemthing else. My mom knits to keep her hands busy. Do you have a sonogram pic yet? Try acrrying ti with you EVERYWHERE and taking it out and looking at it when you want a cig. Or even carrying around a pregnancy book you enjoy reading and reading it when you get the urge. Dont worry about being crabby you can just pass it off on hormones and you will be doing something so wonderful fo ryour baby
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Oh also stress does not hurt your baby, it's how you handle stress that can affect your baby. So dont stress yourself out about being stressed
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• It's better to wean yourself off. A friend of mine smoked almost a pack a day. She's 22 weeks and down to two cigarettes a day and plans to continue spanning them apart. Quitting cold turkey will cause too much stress and withdrawal.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 10:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I quit cold turkey and my SIL smoked through out. Both kids are fine but I think making the decision to quit is best. I was an angry angry person from not smoking and also from life in general and I have a baby who is happy all the time. Good luck with quitting you are doing whats best for your baby.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 10:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• if you are serious about quitting do it gradually but if you cant do it completely that do what was suggested above and just take a couple hits every now and then to keep the stress down. thats how i did it. plus such a small amount of smoking really mont hurt the baby in any way its only if you smoke a normal amounton a daily basis that you end up with low birth weight or athsma.
    nvr_wise_enuff

Answer by nvr_wise_enuff at 10:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• btw..im 39 weeks and i had my first cigg this morning..and just think..my blood pressure was 140 over 96...thats about how high the baby's blood pressure is (give or take)
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 10:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• First let me say CONGRATS and I respect you so very very much for this.

Second let me ask you a couple of questions first...

* ARe you doing this gradually or straight cold turkey?
    *Have you had any blood pressure issues?

Quiting straight cold turkey can be dangerous because it can cause a very severe spike in your blood pressure which is dangerous for both mom and baby. Many doctors will prescribe or recommend the patch to help gradually reduce the amount of nicotine in your system without the tabacco chemicals.

Anonymous

• Anon: Initially i wanted to do it cold turkey but now that doesnt seem like the smartest of ideas. I only smoke half a pack a day so i think tomorrow ill try 5 and take it down from there. As far as blood pressure issues, My blood pressure has risen a few times since i've been pregnant. Thats something i have to take to my doctor about friday.

Thank all you ladies for your advice and support!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2009