How can I stay cheap when my baby starts foods? I'm breast feeding so until now, being a mommy has been pretty cheap- we are still living off the diapers from our baby shower.

LKHeck

Asked by LKHeck at 2:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• make your own. I bought food, but I also would take what we had for dinner and mush it up in a small food chopper with some water, for example if I made roast, carrots, and potatoes I would mush some up for the kids in the chopper.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 3:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I agree with making your own. Not only can it be healthier, you can also save a ton of money! At 50 cents and more for 1 single jar of food...that's crazy. If you go buy 1 back of frozen carrots for $1.19 and a $15 food processor, you're saving lots of money. Go to the dollar store and buy ice cube trays and spend a couple hours making the food and putting it in the trays, freezing it and then once frozen, you can put it in freezer baggies for a couple months. At first, you can thaw out one cube at a time and then as your baby's appetite gets bigger, you can thaw out more.
    LRBsMommy

Answer by LRBsMommy at 3:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Eat healthy yourself and then feed baby what you eat, within age approriate limits. There is no need to use jarred or otherwise processed baby foods.

www.wholesomebabyfood.com is a great website to help get you started.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• With my second baby, we made our own baby food.It's easier than you think. On the weekends, we would steam carrots, sweet potatoes, apples, peaches, etc. and puree them with a hand chopper I got at a yard sale or you could put them in a blender or food processer. I would divide them up into baby food jars I saved from my first son and freeze them. The night before, I'd take out as many jars as I would need for the next day and put them in the freezer to thaw. When it came time to introduce meats, we'd cook up chicken breasts, ham,etc. and mix them up with the fruits and veggies. It was much cheaper and healthier than the store bought baby food plus it got the baby used to eating "our" food.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• check out getting a baby food mill. One is called the Happy Baby Food Grinder. They are perfect: small portion, no extra food left like in the bottom of a processor, no jangling electric sound with the baby nearby - you can mill up something right there at the table.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• If you are looking for jar food for on the go or easy use, look at the Save-a-lot grocery store. Yes it is for cheaper and off brand foods but my store carries beachnut. Remember to check that the food has no corn syrup or aditives. The Save-a-lot store is cheaper than my Kroger store and saved us a lot of money. it is worth a look.
    julieolson1988

Answer by julieolson1988 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• make your own food and start buying cloth diapers! they are really great! puree or mill the (steamed)veggies and fruits that you are eating! we make all our own babyfood!
    shetibo

Answer by shetibo at 10:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2008