Existence + Atheists (genuine question)

If you are an atheist, I wish to inquire how you view coming into existence and ceasing existence: in other words, I make an assumption that you do not believe in an eternal soul/existence (please correct if I'm wrong)~ do you believe that we just suddenly exist and then suddenly cease to exist? TIA.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that's what most Atheists believe.
    Anonymous

• I am along the lines of a spiritual atheist in that, while I see no proof of the existence of any deities, I have experienced life after death in a couple of ways. I've seen a chilling photo of a young girl standing calmly in the midst of a building on fire--where no body was found in the ashes. I have felt the weight of my cat laying across my feet and the vibration of his purring--10 years after his death! I have vivid and persistent memories from a past life lived in 14th century England. Many christians worry a great deal about the afterlife. Whether hard-core atheists are right and life just ends or whether my experiences are right in indicating that life goes on in a different form, it doesn't matter. Death is our final step in this life and none of us can avoid it. I like to thing that our essense has always existed in many different forms.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My dh is an atheist, and to the best of my knowledge, that's what he believes. When you die, you're gone, end of story. I have no idea what he thinks happens prior to coming into existance- I will have to ask him! I suspect he's never thought about it!

I do have to say that I don't think this is the only idea for those who don't believe in an eternal soul. As a Buddhist, I don't believe in an eternal soul (or even an unchanging self while we are alive) but I don't think when we die we are 'gone'- I think our life energy comes from the universe and will return to the sum of energy in the universe. We are a temporary manifestation of the universe's formless energy and cannot be separated from everything else in the universe- that interbeing with everything else prior to birth, during life, and after death is what I would view as our connection to God or the divine.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• That is what i think is the answer: You come into being when an egg and sperm unite and then when you die,you no longer exist.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the Athiest.
    Each Athiest believes different things.
    Just like Christians believe different things than other Christians.
    What you grow up with is what you tend to believe.
    I believe that a little bit of human nature (sperm and an egg) come together with a little bit of love (The God of your choice/belief)
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 11:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• These are good answers but to Witchqueen, you have experienced some real spiritual phenomena, still think there's no "thing" behind this whole system of life? Just curious. BTW, I have had the same cat experience : ( miss my kitty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I don't think we exist until we are conceived. And when we die, we cease to exist. Simple.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:04 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I'll try to make this brief, but I could write a whole book on my beliefs. The short of it is when we are in utero and our brain and spine fuse, it is like plugging in a light. The current of energy starts to flow, and it reaches our brain triggering reactions, and we become conscious. When we die that energy leaves our body. Energy never dies, only transfers. So our energy is dispersed through the universe. Part could be used in a thunderstorm or in a distant star, other energy could be used in the connection to start new life. That's what I believe anyway.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 6:31 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• do you believe that we just suddenly exist and then suddenly cease to exist?

Yep!  That pretty much sums it up.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Thanks ladies. Something I've often wondered. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Apr. 13, 2009