How do I find a babysitter?

My family and I just moved to a new base(again, 4th one in 6 years!) and we want to try to find a babysitter, but it's hard to trust people these days and we don't know anybody out here. My hubby found a site called sitters.com or something like that and it's a site that has all these profile of women who are over 18 who will watch your kids. Do you think that this is a good thing to try (the site also charges a fee and won't give out contact info of the sitters, they look at your profile and they email you). Or should we look else where, if we should look elsewhere, where do we start? No one has emailed us and we've been on for a week and I really could use a night out. She's our only baby so we're scared to just grab someone we don't really know, but I'm a SAHM and my hubby doesn't trust people he works with to watch her.

dawn_misayo

Asked by dawn_misayo at 11:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• call your base they should be able to suggest places to look, or even give you a list of sitters. i wouldn't pay for a site if you can't contact the sitter. your husband could also ask around to the people he now works with, if any of them have older children that babysit or if any of them have younger children who they use for a sitter
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• He has asked and they ask a home based sitter to watch their kids (also suggested by the base) and they are too expensive for us and they want only certain days and hours. We just want a Fri or Sat. night 9-12. The base usually has good home based child care, but they are usually for M-Fri during the day. Plus, there are waiting lists.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 11:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• You can try a nanny service (call a nice local hotel and the concierge will give you the name of the company they use) as these people are often background checked. Also if you meet other nannies at a park, also a local college may have an online newspaper where you can post an ad or look for an ad placed, a local hospital posting board, church or lastly Craigslist. Either way, interview in person and check references.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• i would get the list of home based sitters, and call them to see if they offer those hours, or if they can refer you to someone who does
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2009