If I am Not gettting an epidural....

will they still make me get an iv for fluids and stuff. If so can I still walk, use the bath room, shower etc.????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yeah
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 11:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• yep
    Anonymous

• Some hositals will let you just get a hep lock, and not be hiike u to a machine or IV but they want that lock already hooked up in case of an emergency. But even if you do have an IV then they you should be able to get up and move around. Even if the try to encourage you not to though, it is your body and it is up to you, just tell them what you want to do and do it, and refuse anything you dont want
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• not always. If you go to youtube.com and watch birth videos, alot of moms without epis, have no IV's. They give them any time there is an epi, and also if mom is tired, dehydrated, other issues...but nope. you do not walk in and they put an iv in... so you can walk(you can walk with an iv too hon), as fo rthe shower, not sure as if your water broke, and you are not in sterile area, the baby can pick up germs...ask your doc, he will have the info on your hospital and polocies. I am due next month so i have recently asked alot of questions about labor. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• yeah alot of women have to walk around the hospital with an iv stuck in them to help speed up the process. on the way to L&D i ran into a ladie doing just that.
    Anonymous

• oops sorry spelt lady wrong
    Anonymous

• They generally give iv's no matter if you're getting an epidural or not. You can request that you not get an IV. Even if you have an IV you can still walk...you take the pole with you.
    Anonymous

• i don't understand why you would want to take a shower right before labor? you're gonna get all bloody and sweaty anyway...
    Anonymous

• I had my baby 10 (I'm not kidding, either) minutes after I got to the hospital. Guess what? While I was pushing, the nurse was shoving an IV in my arm!!!!!! I know, it's ridiculous! That's why I hated hospital births!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 11:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Shower for pain management. If they even allow that

Anonymous