My bf of 3 months wants my 2 yr old daughter to call him "daddy" should this concern me?

Me and my bf Richie have been together for a little over 3 months but we've already started kicking around the "M" word...anyways for the last month or so he's been telling my daughter to call him "daddy" I dont know if this should concern me or not.

unLucky209

Asked by unLucky209 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• A child should NEVER be told to call a boyfriend or stepdad, "daddy." You let the child call the other person what they want and do not force it into their head. That is not her dad. You two are moving way too fast. I wouldn't even let a person I have been dating for 3 months around my child because I don't know him that well. You should slow down and think about how much you are confusing your daughter.
    Anonymous

• i wouldn't like it at all. maybe uncle? but that means he started telling her to call him daddy when ya'll had only been together for 2 months. (unless you've known him for alot longer than the 3 months you've been together)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• okay hi im medina and its a trick question. its total okay if hey want your child to call him daddy he want to be the father to your child so that could be a good sign.
    mommy9182009

Answer by mommy9182009 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I would say that this could be a bad idea. You don't want your daughter to get attached to him if there is a possibility that things might not work out. Also, it will confuse her in a lot of unanticipated ways. All those grown up girls that we talk about having "daddy issues" were little girls once. I would tell him to cool his jets on this for a while. Even if you do get married I'd wait for a while.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• umm while it may be sweet...tell him to knock it off. That is a decision for you , not him and that would make me mad and uncomfortable if he did that without talking to me first. She is little and will get too confused. If I were you I would sit him down and tell him that if you love that he loves your daughter, but that she will nto call him that until you are officially married because its too risky.
    honestly, just my opinion as I dont knwo him...its kinda selfish. if you two dont work out, your dd will be heartbroken and is this guy still gonna want to play "daddy' then? dont think so... good luck, tho.it is hard as a single mom to find a decent guy.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• um yeah...she doesn't know him well enough, and she should call him her daddy on her own time. you don't just up and get a dad like that. even the people that's dads weren't there for them just call them sperm donors (ok mainly cuz their mom's put it in their heads but you get the drift), or they say they don't have a dad, and that they man that raised them was their dad, even if not biologically. so yes, you should be concerned. maybe sit down with him, especially if you're considering marriage, and explain to him you don't feel comfortable with her calling him that yet.
    Anonymous

• That would concern me. Even if the father is not in the picture at all, that would concern me. The title of "Mom" or "Dad" are those I believe you earn when the child isn't biologically or adoptively yours. I am a "step" Mom. My "step" sons Birth mom isn't nearly as involved as she should be, he lives with us full-time, yet I still don't teach him to call me Mom. He will either decide to call me that one day or not. I don't think it's appropriate of a BF of 3 months to ask that of your daughter. If he is more of a Dad to her than her Birth Dad, I would let it evolve naturally over time, I would not teach it.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Not even uncle because I don't think you want to confuse your baby into thinking you are dating your brother. Whatever his last name is than she needs to call him Mr. so and so. Please tell him to stop in a nice way without hurting his feelings {if that's what you want} Now if yall get married than that's a whole different story. Why is he so into her calling him "daddy" anyway? Baby girl, if that isn't her father than don't allow her to call him that, especially after 3 months. My 2yr old's father and I have been together for 5 years and my 8 year old daughter calls him Jeff, because she knew from the get go who her father is. {I don't play that!}
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I wouldnt feel comfortable letting her call him daddy, and it would definitely concern me as to why he wants her to. I dont know if im just paranoid but i hear too many stories on the news about boyfriends beating the shit outta there girlfriends kids and because of that if my SO and i were to break up I wouldnt let any new boyfriend around my kids at all until I knew for certain that we were gonna be together (marriage)
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• it's inappropriate.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 11:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2009