When do I need to get my first sonogram?

Im 8 weeks today and Im not sure when Im supposed to get one?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 11:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Unless something happens to you I.E you fall, get really sick, have heavy bleeding or cramping, then they will probably just wait until 20 weeks. Most insurance companies will only cover one US during a low risk pregnancy. There's some controversy over ultrasounds because they are believed to raised the temperature of the amniotic fluid. The rise in temperature hasn't been proven save, but it hasn't as of yet been proven to be dangerous either. Personally I would just wait until 20 weeks since they wont be able to tell the sex of the baby (or babies) before then anyway.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 11:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• you NORMALLY only get 2. once when you find out your pregnant (actually some doctors don't even do that, they just check for a heartbeat instead of the sonogram) and when you find out the sex, which is usually at 20 weeks.
    Anonymous

• About the 3rd or 4th month.
    Izzysmom04

Answer by Izzysmom04 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• The dr i went to with both of my pregnancies only did one for the whole pregnancy unless something was wrong and that was usually at 20 wks. i know some doctors do it more but i'm not sure how many or when.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Some Dr's will routinely do one at about 6-8 weeks, but it is also normal for a mom not to get one untill arounf 18-22 weeks. If you have ever had problems with a pregnancy before, like history of miscarriage, then you should ask for one now if your Dr hasnt already brought it up. If not, then 18-22 weeks is the best time, to measure everything, and check for Downs syndrome and to see the chambers of the heart, adn to see the sex of the baby. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I need to check if Im having twins because it runs VERY high in my family when can they check that?
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 11:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• if you're having twins, they'll just listen out for 2 heartbeats if they don't practice giving 2 sonograms during pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• i got 1 at my 2 visit so i was about 8wks. I bet ur excited! I culd hardly wait to c how much my baby was growing.
    iheartkewi

Answer by iheartkewi at 12:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• yeah they usually only do one and thats around 20 weeks unless they think something is wrong then they might order another one
    bubbleburst1

Answer by bubbleburst1 at 1:18 AM on Apr. 13, 2009