Do you ever have to count down (as in 3,2,1) to get your kids to do what you tell them to do?

What do you think about doing this?

By the way, I will just say that when I do it it works. The minute I say 3, I have their attention. It just irks me that I have to do this. I wish they would just listen right away.

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• i have a toddler, so yes i do this alot. only i don't count down, i count up. counting down might confuse him, since he's learning how to count. if he doesn't do as he's told by the time i'm done, he gets a pop on the butt and then he does whatever it is.
    Anonymous

• Yep I do that all the time. lol it work's for my 3 yr old!
    MandMSMOMMY0607

Answer by MandMSMOMMY0607 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• YES!!!! Sometimes, I don't even have to begin to count (just the warning gets him to stop). Sometimes, I get to three (I do 1-2-3) & then he gets a time out.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:46 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• i dont do that, i refuse to!! yaa i get that all kids dont listen right away...but in my opinion by counting at them just gives them an excuse to not listen right away!! and im trying to teach my daughter to listen right away..not when shes ready and not when i start counting..i once heard a mom start counting at her child..she went 1...........2.....................3!!!!!!!!! dont make me count to 5........4.......................5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was like are you frickin kidding me, how high are you gonna count!! and after all that none of her kids even listened to her..listening right a way is a sign of respect,,and resepct is what i teach my daughte
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:55 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I do that with my toddler. I count up and by two she moves. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yes, alexis, but some of the younger kids need a little reminder. I don't expect my toddler to listen all the time. I try to pick my battles so she knows I"m serious once I start counting. If I get to 3, she gets a pop on the bottom. If she still doesn't obey, then time out. It works, and as she gets older, I notice she's more willing to listen the first time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I've been doing this for so long that sometimes, I don't even need to use words. I just put my hand up with all 5 fingers...he knows the rest. If it's a moment of urgency or I need him to focus quickly, I count down fast enough for him to run. Sometimes I count slowly when I know he's tired and needs more time. But yes, I count from 5 to 1, using voice and hands and most of the time, I don't even need to get to 1. It works because I've been doing it for years and there's always a consequence if he doesn't respond. Also, I count backwards on the advice from a friend who counted from 1 to 5 because she had a son who would just keep counting for her after 5 because there's always a next number. But going backwards, most kids don't go into negative values...it stops at 1 (or 0 if they're being snarky).
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yes... we count.. sometimes just saying "if you dont do THIS by the time i get to 3, you go to the corner".... Thats enough---- she will do what she is sapose to do.. sometimes I may get to 2 and she runs off to do right... and the rare times i get to 3... she KNOWS she is getting punished, simple.. I dont make empty promises. good or bad!
    I HATE it when dh is trying to get dd to do something so he will say "if you do this we will **go to the park**" ..... No, actaully WE ARE NOT GOING TO THE PARK! WTH! We are going home so i can make dinner! ....
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:22 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I still do that with my 13 yo and you know what? It works. I don't have to spank and he always stops and listens before 3. He might let me get to 2, but, never 3. It's alot easier that any other method of discipline.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I don't (not yet anyway) but I have a few piano students that act up a lot and I've noticed if I just say "Three..." they stop what they're doing and start doing what I asked them to. I hope their parents don't mind- heh.

Whatever works, works in my opinion. It sure is better to count than to have your child doing something they should, especially when it's as simple as counting.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 13, 2009