at what age did u stop giving a night bottle?he doesnt wake for it, i wake him. what do i do?

zacherys 7 months and about 2 weeks old now. sinse he was 2.5 mnths hes gotten a night time bottle. he wakes in the morning around 6:45-8am ish at the latest. as u all know hes boobie fed and solids too. so thru the day he gets *imagine* one whole stage 2 square food container of cereal in the morning. somtimes with the left over fruit from dinner the night b4 he didnt eat. and has boobs all day! he snax here and there of the lil crunchers n puffs and yogurt puffs. and drinks about an oz of so of jucie or water as well. for dinner he has 2 whole jars of stage 2 foods. one dinner and one fruit or vegi. depnding on what dinner he has obv. he has boobies 30 mins after dinner and hes off to bed by 7:45-8ish.. or if im runnin late, by 8:30-9. and then i will wake him *depending on time he went to bed* any where from 10:30-12:00midnight and give him a 6-7oz bottle. of formula and breastmilk. mind you. im waking him. he doesnt wake.

chris-s-wife

Asked by chris-s-wife at 11:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have one rule with babies never wake a sleeping baby.. If they are hungry they will wake up.. If he's sleeping then dont bother him.. He may not be truely hungry just eating out of habbit
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Why are you waking him in the first place? Just let the kid sleep. If he wakes up ON HIS OWN, give him a bottle.
    Anonymous

• first off.. dont wake the baby.. its the golden rule! if a baby sleeps, let them sleep. let the baby wake you up.. not the other way around. it forms a HORRIBLE habit that is hard to break, trust me. and by now he should be able to sleep all night long without needing a bottle halfway through. also, my daughter was never really weaned off the ngiht time bottle. we just turned the night time bottle into a sippy cup of milk. that way the milk doesnt do a constant drip into her mouth and cause bottle rot. with you giving him a bottle at night, it promotes tooth decay. so either, you should brush his teeth/gums before bed or when he wakes in the morning. you dont want them to fall out. and anyways, a toothbrush is fun for them to play with before they HAVE to brush them. plus kids love the feeling on their gums when teething. JUST REMEMBER: DONT WAKE A SLEEPING BABY
    usmcgirl86

Answer by usmcgirl86 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• as my mother has always said....never wake a sleeping baby....not bashing by any means...good luck mamma:)
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 12:28 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• If he is sleeping and not waking on his own for the bottle, then it is past time to stop the night time bottle, unless he wakes up and wants it.

My daughters schedule changed like this:
    1-3 months: Wake at 11pm, 2am, 5am and then up for the day at 8am
    3-5 months: Wake at 2am, 5:30am, and then up for the day at 8am
    5-8 months: Wake at 2am, and then up for the day at 7am
    8 months until now (currently 11 months)- Sleep through the night and get up between 6am
    and 7:30am

but she didn't necessarily take a bottle every time she woke up though. The older she got (mostly past 6 months) I could just give her a pacifier and she would go back to sleep.If you keep giving a bottle in the middle of the night, then you are setting up a pattern. Babies thrive on consistency. If you continue it (the nighttime bottle) then when you DO decide to stop, it will be too late because it will be a part of his routine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The above Anon answer is me...not sure why it answered Anon, I never do that!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Y would you want to wake him? When I had my son I set my alarm for every 3 hours so if he didnt wake I would wake him, and at his 2 week check up the nurse told me to only wake him during the day if he had been sleeping more that 3 hours and slept through a feeding, or such. But not to wake him at night. So I stopped and he has slept completely through the night since he was about 2 months old. If I were you i would let him sleep so you too can sleep.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:35 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I'm just reinforcing the other moms here: WHY DO YOU WAKE HIM?? Silly girl! lol..
    wirelessbubbles

Answer by wirelessbubbles at 1:03 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• thanx for the responses. ill get back with one of my own as soon as my heavily teething son relaxes. i didnt wake him last night. but i did check in on him once. he wanted to nurse. but he only suckeled a tiny bit. kinda one of those, like he had dry mouth things.. lol otherwise. i did that at 2am and he slept till 7am this morning. now i get to work on no bite! and finding out the right time to pump if im not gonna do a night feeding no more. i dont wanna lose the supply i have. i mean, when i pump i store.. can never have enough extra ya know! any advice on teething and no biteing? oh and, why do i feel so sore*my chest* from my collar bone to the underboob area kills me. i been nursing now for 7 months nd 2 weeks.. but god im soooooooo sore! not like nipple sore. just like, someone took a bat to my chest sore. its normal i assume?
    chris-s-wife

Answer by chris-s-wife at 8:58 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I didn't nurse long enough to go through the teething issue, but from what I have seen on here a few good ways to keep from biting are to give a light tap on the nose and firmly say "no", or to take the nipple away and firmly say "no biting".

Hopefully the other bf'ing moms will see you have more questions - if not, you may have to ask again with a new question.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:04 AM on Apr. 13, 2009