What is deja vu?

I was just wondering if any other people had a religious explanation for this phenomenon.
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Darn, I came in here ready to explain what deja vu is...but not in a religious way..
    Anonymous

• lol ditto anon... deja vu is french for "already seen"

but... no religious explanation
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Yeah, I have one. Well, at least one of my religious beliefs. I believe that we all right charts before we come here so we can be sure that we learn the lesson that we came here to learn. Deja vu is just a part we wrote into that chart so we could know we are on the right track.
    -Ashley
    P.S. I took three years of french in high school, so I already knew the translation.
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• not religious perspective, but to me deja vu equals bad stuff going to happen :/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• DEJA VU MEANS THE FEELING THAT YOU HAVE BEEN OR EXPERIENCED A CERTAIN PLACE OR FEELING ONCE BEFORE. NOT THAT NECESSARILY BAD STUFF GOING TO HAPPEN.

Answer by older at 7:41 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I've wondered about it. Sometimes I think that since we genetically transmit all things physical, why are our memories not considered? Is it possible to genetically pass on memories, hence deja vu? Just a thought.
    SarahElf.

Answer by SarahElf. at 7:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My mom always said, and I found this to be very beautiful, that as babies, God gives us dreams of our future lives. If you ever watch a baby sleep you'll notice smiles and almost laughs at times and at other times pure sadness or pure fear on their faces. She said that deja vu was our mind remembering a little chunk of the dream from when we were babies. I thought that was a nice way to think of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My thought/experience is exactly as you explain it spiritguide.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I don't think there IS a "religious" explanation, Ashley, because that would mean that religions would have to admit they aren't the "only way". But the "spiritual" explanation you gave in your answer is right on in my belief.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:14 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I like to think that it's a blip in the space-time continuum. Really I have no idea but it's a very cool explanation. I figure it's probably just a neurological thing though, something in the pathway skips and makes your brain think that the thing you just experienced happened before too.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:23 AM on Apr. 13, 2009