is anyone else confused by LATCH?

Or am I the only one?

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 12:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You're car seat will come with latches that are attatched to it. Those latches are what hook onto the anchors set in your car. You can easily find the anchors in your car by running your hand in the crease of the seat (where the back rest and seat meet). If you do not feel any anchors there, then you can not use this method for securing your car seat.
    If you do feel them, then follow the instructions your car seat came with. Or take it to your local Police Station, they can help you.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• what is LATCH?
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:31 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• YES, totally confused!!! Where do all those belts go?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• LATCH is an acronim for Lower Anchers and Tethers for CHildren. It a way of putting a car seat in without using a seat belt.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• OH I see. I was very confused. My car has special seat belts just for car seats, but the bigger ones. I dont know how to use them yet. But sorry, yeah how the heck do the even get hooked in. I dont know if I would trust it.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:38 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• there should only be two belts with attachy-things at the end. between the seat cushions (top and bottom) there is a metal bar which the belts hook onto. then you pull on the straps to tighten them. have you read the instructions? imo, its much easier than the seatbelt!
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:38 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• All of the newer cars have anchors inbetween the seats and above the headrests of the back seats that you can anchor your car seat to, as opposed to using a seat belt. I use it for my daughter instead of the belt.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• They are safe to use I just can't figure out how!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Not really, no.
    If you use the lower anchors, you do NOT use the seat belt. If you use the seat belt, you do NOT use the anchors.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• We use both (hooks/anchors and the belt through the back of his car seat), is that bad?
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:22 AM on Apr. 13, 2009