Is 15 months too young to start potty training?

My little one has done everything early- crawling, walking.... I'm really anxious to start potty training and am optimistic he can do it. We have the training toilet and he seems really interested in it. How should I start the process?

Neecee66

Asked by Neecee66 at 12:30 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My mother claims I started walking at 9 months and that by one year I was potty trained. Is that pp serious that they would impart delay potty training because you will miss changing diapers? I don't think it's too early. In fact I think it's ridiculous when mothers wait until their child is 3 to potty train. If your child is verbal and can run around and left their legs into the air to help you change their diaper then it's time to potty train (barring no other conditions.)

Here in PR it's quite common to see 3 year olds not only with diapers but pacifiers and bottles (no joke. Full on baby bottles.)
    NotVeryClever

Answer by NotVeryClever at 4:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• it has been my experience that it is easier all the way around if you wait until your child is fully ready. it may not seem like it now but someday you will miss changing diapers. or at least miss your child being young enough to wear them
    kennethsmom910

Answer by kennethsmom910 at 12:35 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My cousin started at 15 mintues. She said its so good to do it when he cant say "no". Her baby and her niece whom she helped train at 18 months had NO problem with it. Just today she was saying that once my baby is 15 mo she will help me. So I dont think 15 months is too early.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 12:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Meant to say 15 months. Lol. Not minutes, sorry for the typo
    AdensMommy1107

• You can certainly try, but your CHILD should be ready, not just you. You said you were ready. What signs has your child shown that they may be ready? Our doctor says between 18-24 months, some babies will start showing signs and some will wait even longer to show signs of readiness.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• in response to the person 2 people up i only meant her baby is only a baby once. you will be amazed at what you will miss i have never held my child back for something he is ready for nor will i ever his development has been advanced for his age. if you push your kids beyond their capabilities it could have consequences, my niece was too young and had accidents at night for many years. also it would be easier if the child can tell you verbally. I have read in a magazine that you could teach them the sign language for potty.
    kennethsmom910

Answer by kennethsmom910 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2009