NEED ADVICE! VERY WORRIED!

my 22 month old daughter has had diarrhea blow outs for about 6 days about 4-6 a day, occasionally it seems like its getting better when she has a stool that seems to look a tad thicker than water. Lately she has had really bad gas which i have only recently noticed around a day ago. She has never had this and has no allergies. just in the last day she seems to some pain where she pulls her legs up. I feel very worried and cant call the doc til tomorrow. What do you think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• try the brat diet
    bananas, rice, applesauce, toast
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 12:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• push gatorade or pedialite so she doesn't get dehydrated, that's what i would do. and be sure to call that doc as soon as they open!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• There is a stomach flu going around that causes bad bad gas pains. DO try the brat diet and talk to your doctor.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Is she hydrating well? Check for signs of dehydration like dry lips or mouth because that's really the biggest danger here. If she is dehydrated you might consider getting her help sooner. Even if she's not you need to keep really pushing the fluids. Water and pedialyte are best, gatorade isn't good for little tummies and can make matters worse.

My guy had a nasty stomach bug at 12 and wound up in hospital on an IV because he was incapable of keeping enough fluid in his system. Not something you want to mess around with.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Is there and emergency room you can go to? I myself had a similar situation and went to the ER and it turned out to be ecoli. In the meantime give her gatorade to keep her hydrated but no food other than starch (potatoes and toast would be best). Again I think the ER would be best.
    Anonymous

• Take her to a walkin clinic or urgent care clinic, it not one in your area go to the ER. That is way to long for her to be having diarreha. You can still call the doc, there is someone on call for emergency purposes. Keep her hydrated but I would have been at the walkin or ER days ago.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• DON'T give her Gatorade. It has too much sugar in it, and excess sugar causes diarrhea. Pedialyte works well.

When you talk to the doctor tomorrow, tell him/her if there have been any changes in her diet or routine.

evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:08 AM on Apr. 15, 2009

• In addition I highly recomend pinxave pronounced pink salve to protect her bottom from a bad painful diaper rash that is sure to accompany all the loose stools.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I agree the brat or abc diet is best in small amts. Sometimes though giving your little one any solids might make the diarrhea worse so you could try just the pedialite in super small amts every 30 mins. With the baby pulling her legs up it is a sign of gas and with the pulling up the legs that is the advice i would give you for helping to relieve it. I always tucked my little one's legs up and held them or swaddled them to help with the gas. You might want to protect her little bum from burning by using Vaseline or bag balm. Oh they have baby mylocon sp? for the gas, ask your DR about it.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 7:30 AM on May. 8, 2009