What would you do if you were me?

Ok so even though today was Easter, my SO and I both had to work today. He got off about 2 and I got off about 3. His mom was babysitting for us, and had taken our 4 1/2 month old son out to my SO's grandparents house. Well later on after I had gotten him and went to my grandma's house, he was extremely fussy. And come to find out hours later that she had givin him some frosting while I was at work. I am furious. My doc gave permision to start him on veggies. And he has only tried two so far. Im taking it slow even though he loves um and does great, but he is too young for sweets. It most likely hurt his tummy bad, and that was what was wrong. And I wanted to be there when it was time for him to get his first frosting and such, which this was way too soon. I am so mad. And don't know what to say too her. What would you do?

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 12:31 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I completely agree. My dd is 9 months and had NO SWEETS today, whatsoever . . she's too young. I would just tell her that at this age you have to be very careful of what they eat, in order to watch for allergic reactions and NO ONE can feed your baby and new foods, except you. I went through this (not with the sweets, but with other foods) and I put my foot down. NOPE, MOMMY DECIDES WHAT HER CHILD EATS!!! The sugar probably upset his little delicate tummy. Tell her foods that he is not ready for can mess up his digestive system. And if she says "Well, when I had kids . . . . " Tell her food is made differently today and we have to parent differently today. Good Luck!! You are right to be mad!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:38 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• confront her on it, thats about the only thing I think you can do. If she is not willing to follow your guidelines then maybe she should not be looking after him. Frosting that early is just wrong, most babies are still on breast/bottle only at that point.
    I hope your son is feeling better.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 12:40 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Ok... I may get bashed for this but my son has always gotten a little and I mean very little taste of frosting when we are around cake....Started at about 2-3 months... Doctor knew nothing was wrong.. He's fine now.. But if she knew you wouldnt let her do it so she did it when you werent around thats not ok cause then it's going to turn into all kinds of food she gives him.. When she had her babies it wasnt as strict as it is now.. So thats probably why she didnt think anything is wrong with it.. Just tell her she doesnt need to give it to him again because it gives him a tummy ache and she will probably listen.. Most the time they will if it's causeing the child discomfort. Hope that helps
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 12:49 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Ugh. I'd be so mad! My almost one year old hasnt even had that kind of treat, birthday cake will be her first "sweet"!

I would most definitely confront her and tell her that if you cant trust her to respect your wishes with ***your*** child, you wont be leaving your child alone with her anymore.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:55 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My problem is is that I find it hard to be mean to people, especially my elders, ya know. And I am furious, just dont know how I should bring it up to her in a calm non offensive way, but to have her respect my wishes.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I have a hard time being "mean" to people too.. I'm always wayyy too nice. You dont have to be mean or disrespectful about it at all. You can just tell her you want to talk, and let her know that although you know she has good intentions, you'd like to keep some boundaries for your child's eating habits. Explain to her why you feel this way(you want her to crave healthy foods in the future, this is a crucial time to train her taste preferences, etc), and tell her that you dont feel comfortable leaving her with people if you think their going to be giving her sweets and treats that she doesnt need. Kinda laugh it off, but make it known that your serious at the same time.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• First...you're right to be upset from the standpoint that it was bad for the baby. Just tell her DON'T DO IT AGAIN.

But let me pass on the Working Mom Rule: A first is NOT a first unless mom witnesses it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:14 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• You are overreacting. Discuss it with her from the standpoint of he was fussy and had a tummyache and you think it could be from trying something new. Tell her he is on a schedule of new foods and to please ask first before giving him foods.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 4:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• confront her back in her day there wasnt the childhood obesity rate or diabeties like there is today sugar is not good for kids under 3 i mean once in a lil while a little taste but candy and frosting are a big no no. in fact im an emt and i was just on a call today this mom gave her child sugar for the first time just frosted cherios didnt think anything about it the kid had an allergic reactoin so sever we had to administer and epi pen on him 9 monthes old scary he is doing better now as far as i know but sugar is not good for kids at all id stand up and talk to her about the risks and that she needs to talk with you befor she gives him anything eles just as a safty percautoin good luck and i hope your kid feels better and i would explain to him that thats what suger does.
    SarahRandall

Answer by SarahRandall at 5:14 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I would calmly as possible explain why you got upset and that he reacted badly to being introduced to the "new food". Then request that she ask you before giving him ANY food, sweet, sugar, anything. Juice, milk, water. Or just request that she not feed him unless you have given her food and instructions. She may get offended but this is your child and you have to answer for how you raise him not her. Also do ask if she realizes how many allergies kids get now. Your son could have reacted badly to the dye in the frosting, not just the sugar. Or if there were nuts in the frosting. Stuff like that. Even nut residue will cause a reaction. Just let her know in no uncertain terms you have final say in what your kid eats.
    elizabethie

Answer by elizabethie at 6:05 AM on Apr. 13, 2009