Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tax credit for babysitting expenses

Do you have to have your child go to a licensed day care to get this or if they just go to someones house you know and they write you receipts can you put this on your taxes?

Answer Question

Asked by britni11 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 9 (277 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • From what I have been told, you can put it on your taxes if they write you receipts AND they file it as income on their taxes which they may not want to do as that might deduct from their refund or make them pay in more. I would talk to a tax advisor for this because you don't want you or the babysitter to get in trouble for this.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 12:50 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • Seconding April...your caregiver must pay taxes on what you pay her. If she's not, you could claim the deduction but the IRS might just go after her.

    Answer by gdiamante at 1:07 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • You have to have the persons name and address, of course, but also either their tax id or their social security number to claim the credit.

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.