Naughty words?

My daughter will be turning 1 years old in June. She's already starting to sound out words and just about say them very well. I'm a little worried though. Her father and I dont have the cleanest mouths when it comes to langauge, but when they are said they are recognized and corrected so we are trying. I've thought a few times that I heard sh*t very clearly and my fiance said he has heard the b word pretty clear. We try not to make a stink about it b/c we know she doesn't even know what they mean if thats even what she's really saying, but when she starts to really talk and we have this problem, what should we do?

Mommy-To-Be18

Asked by Mommy-To-Be18 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should start watching what you say NOW, or you will have a big problem later. She hears/understands more than you think, she just can't quiet figure out how to make the words come out yet. But she is working on it, and it will come faster than you know.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:47 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Oh, and when she does say bad words, don't laugh. It will be funny and seemingly harmless, but she will think she is doing a good thing and continue on, and any reprimand attempts will be futile.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think the best thing you can do is teach yourselves to stop cursing. Bad habits are hard to break, but when your raising a child you need to do all that you can to be a good influence.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• when i say anything around my daughter that i shouldn't be i tell her that "mommy said a mean word, she didn't mean to and she's sorry. you shouldn't say that because it hurts peoples feelings" she is 3 so this is understandable for her, but she doesn't say anything and my husband (especially him) and i have a tendency to not realize what we say. so she has heard plenty of bad stuff, whoever says anything around her has to tell her this or i won't allow them to be around her for too long. just try to watch it now and if she says something now, than just tell her thats an icky word and we don't want to say it
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• i wouldnt make a big deal outta it..if she sees a reaction from you whenever she says a "bad"word shes just gong to continue saying.if you ignore i, it will pass, and she will stop.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:40 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• my dd's first word was shit, she fell on her bottom at ten mths old and goes "oh tit". Yes mommy likes the s word a lot. I've watched what I say since then, but "tit" happens and if her or her brother says a bad word, we tell them those are adult words, not for children, and leave it at that. My ds went through quite a cussing streak when he was two, we ignored it, and he eventually stopped. Was very hard not to laugh when he used them appropriately, drop his toy, "dammit", stub his toe, "ow shit"...
    southernwldchld

Answer by southernwldchld at 5:28 AM on Apr. 13, 2009