What could cause a late due date estimation?

My EDD from the beginning has been July 3, and according to my uterus height and the timing on other pregnancy symptoms that should still be pretty close... But according to the U/S technician my EDD is now August 2...

90mommy

Asked by 90mommy at 12:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't base the EDD on symptoms. Many women experience symptoms at different times in the pregnancy. For example, one woman who is dead on her feet at 3 months, while another is full of energy until 8 months. I know it's a personal question, but are you overweight? If you are, the uterus height isn't as accurate. I'm overweight so the uterus height isn't exactly where it should be. Ultrasounds are the most reliable way to predict an EDD. I would listen to him/her. As long as the timing still makes sense with your last period, he/she is probably right. Just remember - it's an estimate, not a contract! Don't be surprised if your LO comes early/late! :-)
    wirelessbubbles

Answer by wirelessbubbles at 12:58 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• the MOST accurate way to get your EDD is to know what day you conceived/ovulated. when they use the date of your last menstrual peroid, they're assuming you ovulated on day 14, since thats average, but many women ovulate before/after that day, so thats why its an estimate. next to the conception date, the early ultrasound is fairly accurate. the further along you are, the less accurate u/s becomes
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• well that's the other thing is, this new one doesn't go with LMP... so either I missed a period right before I got preg, or the old EDD was right and the u/s is just off because I'm in the third tri...? No, I'm not over weight...
    90mommy

Answer by 90mommy at 1:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The ultra sound EDD's do tend to be off if they aren't done in early pregnancy. They should have done an ultra sound at your first appointment to date the baby and see how far along you were. I guess there's not much you can do now though. If the baby starts coming a little early, I would explain to them that you don't believe their new due date is very accurate.
    xxPaulaxx

Answer by xxPaulaxx at 4:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• well, due to a TON of complications at the beginning with the OB where I was living, this was pretty much my first appt. Long story... anyway, new OB, finally getting treated like a human being, everything is fine now (well, except the whole not knowing EDD, but o well not that big a deal since still have a rough guess-timate)... yeah, I'm going to ask about it at my next appt... thank you guys!
    90mommy

Answer by 90mommy at 12:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2009