baby cerael?

wen can i start.
can i start it wen he's 3 months old?

marcelina08

Asked by marcelina08 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should ask your pedi, because they all have differend op, they say from around 4-6 months old you can start but my pedi says not till around 5 months old. Babies don't have the enzymes or what something to digest the solid food properly and they could get food alergies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Too early. Six months is the start point for solids....the infant digestive system isn't ready till then. (And by the way...cereal doesn't make them sleep, just in case that's your motive. They sleep when they sleep and you've signed up dfor a lifetime of NOT sleeping yourself. **grin**)

Answer by gdiamante at 1:44 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• depends on ur baby! they will show signs of being ready. i started my first son at 4 months...and my second at 3 months. my dr ok'd it. i also started with cereal in the bottle at about a month.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:58 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• i started mine at 4 months.i wouldnt go any earlier than that..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:42 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Ask your Doctor for sure. My Brother had to start when he was 2months as he required something more substantial. My LO started a little after 5 months I think. We started him a little late though due to belly issues running in the family. I was told if he knows what to do w/ it then he is ready. ASK YOUR DOCTOR. They can give you the best advice for your LO.
    elizabethie

Answer by elizabethie at 5:52 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• You "can" do whatever you want with your baby. However, it's not recommended to begin cereal until 4-6 months.

When you do, use a bowl and spoon, unless your pediatrician has recommended you put it in a bottle for some reason (usually for reflux).
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:18 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I started my oldest at 2 months because the doctor refused to put him on meds to control his reflux and I had to do something. I just started my youngest and he is 3 months old.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:07 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• When you feel he is ready to take it with a spoon. My son started at 10 weeks. But I would suggest trying something else besides cereal. Take a little time and read some articles about the first foods. It will help you decide.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 11:08 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months. Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months). http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2009