Still producing milk after almost 2 months of not breastfeeding

I had to stop in the beginning of Feb. when i had my wisdom teeth out. The milk is still there, it leaks out sometimes. It just won't dry up and i can't get the pills because i have no insurance and no extra money. I don't know if it matters how long i bf for(5.5 months) or my size(DD) but i think it should have dried up by now. How long should it take to dry up?

OwensMama824

Asked by OwensMama824 at 1:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I stopped breastfeeding a year ago and I still produce milk.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 1:28 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Wow . . I wish I was still producing milk. I would pump it and feed it to dd. Maybe try the cabbage leaves and don't let hubby mess with your breasts . . . maybe your breasts are extra sensitive and any stimulation keeps them producing. Good luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Whoever told you that you needed to stop for your wisdome teeth gave you HORRIFICALLY BAD information. It WAS NOT necessary at all.

If you want...put baby back to breast. No reason not to.

There are NO pills to dry you up anymore...those have been off the market for a long time because they're ahealth hazard.

If you DON'T want to try nursing again, cabbage leaves in your bra.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I stopped nursing when my daughter was 2, she is now almost 10. I still produce milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Cabbage leaves might help. I stopped nursing 19 months ago, still haven't dried up.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:16 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I only was able to beastfead for a couple days and that was almost 10 months ago and I am still producing some. Not a lot but it still leaks out.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• i still produce milk too! and my daughter will be 2 in october...i stopped breastfeeding when she was like 5 months:(
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It is normal to still be producing milk after baby weans, some women will continue to leak for years! Just know that any stimulation you provide will "encourage" it. If you squeeze to see if any is there, stimulation from your partner during sex etc.

If you want to try to take something to help you dry up you can take Sudafed (pseudoephedrine). Sage and peppermint also supress milk production.

That is a bummer if you were told to wean when you got your wisdom teeth out, if you did not want to, cause you didn't need to. :-(
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I breastfed my daughter until she was 9 months old. I produced milk until I became pregnant 9 months later. My other daughter stopped breastfeeding at 5 months. She will be a year old Friday. I still have milk.
    Lexi.Mommy

Answer by Lexi.Mommy at 2:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Oh sorry I didn't have to stop just because of the teeth it was all the drugs they gave me + i was already starting to wean anyways
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009