what should you not take to the delivery room to entertain your other children?

i have a 16 year old sister and a 2 year old with us but what do i take to keep him not so bored the whole time and make it fun i thought about coloring books but not to sure any other suggestoins

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't have the 2 year old in there. They are too little to understand seeing their mom in pain....not a good experience for a child that young.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Take as many toys as you can. Preferably ones that make lots of noise. Oh, and movies and a cd player. Why in the world are you taking a 2 year old to the delivery room????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• i wouldn't take a 2 yr old in either. he may end up resenting the baby for the pain baby caused mommy. not realizing he caused the same pain years ago. but if you feel you have to take him, than i would get him some small new toys, just dollar store type stuff but that way they are new and interesting, movies, books.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• if you prepare the child for what is to come the child will be just fine. Let the child watch birthing videos and explain that it WILL hurt but that mommy will be okay and it is a wonderful magical thing.
    ...that's just in response to those ppl who are shocked you are allowing a 2yo in the room. They understand more then you think.
    But i dont know what toys will be distracting enough. I know that if i was pregnant and my DSS was in the room he'd be much more intersted in what i was doing then some flashy toys.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It's not about what is damaging or scary to the child. Two is way too young to expect to be quiet for hours at a time. There are other moms on the floor to consider as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I can't even imagine taking my daughter into the delivery room with me. For one she wouldn't sit still, she would be bugging me asking me what is wrong with me, so I would probably in turn lose my temper with her because of what all I was going through. And for another do you really want your son to see that? The whole birth and everything? I could understand having him wait in the waiting room, or going to a nearby park or something with someone so that as soon as baby comes he can meet his sibling, but no way in the room. That just seems like cruel and unusual punishment
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• i know and he well be in the waiting room during delivery however i dont know how capable my 16 year old sister is in keeping him occupied she is slightly disabled do to anerexia so she might have a hard time if he gets fussy or wants to see me. and thats what im worried about and i dont want him to be scared for life either and my husband wants to film it the whole thing im going in for a c- sectoin so it well only be like an hour or two that he well be alone with my sister.but i dont know how to make it easyer on her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Well, could you ask if the hospital has a childrens area? Sometimes there are waiting areas for families with children. I would check with the hospital ahead of time.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• thats not what she asked, she asked what entertainment to bring or not bring for him... why cant people just stick to the question asked?!

lots of toys coloring book
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• most hospitals have childrens waiting rooms, look into that. that would have all kinds of new neat stuff for him to play with. give your sister some money so she can take him to the cafeteria, that would probably kill about 30-45 mins. maybe a disposable camera? he can take pictures for his own little photo album for the day the baby came? that would keep him busy.....if there is a fast food place nearby w/a playplace they could go there and she could get something to eat while he runs around and plays..
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:19 AM on Apr. 13, 2009