need advice about an ADHD 10 year old boy

I need advice.

My 10 yr old son is severly ADHD we have tried almost every medication there is and it seems like as soon as he gets used to the current medication he is then immune to it and it seems to stop working, when we up his dosage he has problems sleeping. I amat my wits end with this issue. the compulsiveness, the disregard for consequences, the not ever ssitting still. I have 3 other children and it seems all of my attention is going to my 10 yr old and I don't have enough energy left for the other 3. my husband works all the time so he can't be much help right now. so i need advise. Is there foods I can eliminate from his diet or anything I can do to help him maintain composer?
The medication is not enough alone HELPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

momof3blue1pink

Asked by momof3blue1pink at 4:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• the medicine only helps he needs to relearn things about paying attention and keeping on task
    i have ADHD and i'm the same way
    there is a happy medium where he will be getting enough sleep and is symptoms will be under control
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 6:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2008

• My son has to avoid processed foods, and foods that have preservatives. For us, that means no store bought lunch meats (I buy my own turkey/ham, etc., bake it and use a meat slicer), no potato chips, no storebought/ready-to-bake/boxed cookies/brownies/cakes(I make them all from scratch). I bake my own bread. I buy 100% juice, with nothing added(check the ingredients list). For some kids, it's artificial colors, for some it's sugar, others wheat. You just have to eliminate and add until you find what works.
    Continued...
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2008

• Also, make sure no one is acting like his ADHD excuses everything and makes it impossible for him to help himself. I have a friend whose son has ADHD, and she's always like, "Well, he has ADHD" whenever he does ANYTHING wrong. I tell my son, "You have ADHD, it causes problems for you, but you still know right from wrong, and what is expected of you, and you will be punished appropriately if you misbehave." He understands that the ADHD makes things difficult for him, but that he still has the ability to overcome that difficulty if he just tries.
    Routine is big too. If they have a set routine everyday, a lot of ADHD kids cope better, because they know what to expect.
    My son only got diagnosed about 4 months ago, so I'm not an expert, by any stretch of the imagination. But, I hope I helped
    tropicalmama

• DISCIPLINE HIM... MAKE SURE HE STOPS BEING A BRAT AND PUT HIM IN HIS PLACE!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2008

• "Aug. 2, 2008 by: Anonymous DISCIPLINE HIM... MAKE SURE HE STOPS BEING A BRAT AND PUT HIM IN HIS PLACE!" The person who wrote this is an idiot. A cowardly, anonymous, idiot.

tropicalmama had very good advice. It is important for your son to understand that ADD is not a licenseto follow his impulses. You could set up a behavior plan with him where you chose specific behaviors you want to stop and you work with him to track his progress. He can choose a reward to work for. It is very important that he gets positive reinforcement for his efforts.  His ADD is probably just as frustrating to him as it is for you.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2008

• my son is 10 years old and has adhd to and it is hard because he also has ather medical problems and i have 3 other boys i took the sugar things away and the has help some but his meds dose age is as high as it can be
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2008

• for my girls (both of them ages 10 and 6) i had to limit their dairy...they are both taking the medication concerta and it has worked wonders along with the milk limitation.
    kat_s269

Answer by kat_s269 at 12:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2008

• My son is 12. He was diagnoised with ADHD when he was 7. He was on meds and it just made him like a zombie. He is not on meds now but.... There is a book it is called Parenting ADHD by Dr. Vincent Monastra PHD. It is WONDERFUL. I use the methods and it works. I limit(maybe one a week only) red and blue dyes in food and drinks. Up the protien. If my son wants a soda I let him have one soda a week ( reg. soda not diet). Coffee is ok. Coffee goes in reverse(example.. If you drink coffee it keeps you up. With ADHD it calms them down.). I would get that book. It gives check lists for home and school(for the teacher). It is AWSOME.
    mdk

Answer by mdk at 12:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2008

• This book that I just told you about said that remember ADHD is a gift more than a disorder. You can't disapline the child like you do children without ADHD. And if it is Attention.... you have to tell the child to one thing at a time and give them extra time to do it. My son goes to a therapist for this disorder and we have come a long way. And I don't have to put him on meds anymore. Thanks to the book and the therapist. Oh, my son makes A's and B's at school(not on meds)having this disorder and he is well behaved to now. Diet and therapy and patients make all the difference.
    mdk

Answer by mdk at 12:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2008

• My son just turned 9 and he has severe Adhd. He can't read and he struggles with social skills. Changing his diet did not help at all. What has heleped is Concerta. My son was on several meds that would wear off just like you described. Also believe it or not chewing gum seems to keep him focused. This is something the school started him on. My son goes to a private school which has helped alot. The state pays a big percentage. I don't know if in your state they have this program but it is great. You should check into it. if you need any more advis I will be happy to try and help!

BizaMommy

Answer by BizaMommy at 11:52 AM on Aug. 5, 2008