Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

harressing nighbor

i live in an upstairs apt. the neighbor doing the harressing knew before he and his wife that i had three grandkids. onelives with me and my husband. hes an active two year old. things were fine for awhile. but he doesnt like my daughters friend. her friend ignores him. but twice now hes called the police to report supposely noise he heard. the cops came no noise. the last time they came the only people home were my son and me. both of us were tv in seperate room. but my neighbor said we were moving furniture. which we were not doing. hes cussed out a school bus driver. i tried talking to my manager but he wont do anything. im at whits end. any advice

Answer Question

Asked by stressedoutgran at 3:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 15 (2,324 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • first i would find out what the rules are for noise in your apt. and if your not doing anything wrong and he keeps on bothing you like that isnt that harassment? If it continues, talk to the police

    Answer by mtkelley at 3:20 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • I wonder if the guy would be happier having an upstairs apartment himself or if you could switch to a downstairs one.That is another sugesstion if nothing else seems to be working.

    Answer by tnmomofive at 8:07 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • Everytime the police comes to your door, be sure and always kinda laugh sheepishly, shrugging your shoulders saying in a gently and surprised tone, "I cannot imagine why this man keeps bothering the police. We are quietly living our life, going about our own business, and you are welcome to come in and see that our activity is low key and also normal. Now if normal moving thru our home is bothering this neighbor, I'm not sure what his recourse needs to be." Again, shrugging your shoulders, and smiling all the while to the nice policeman. Remember, that getting hostile, even if you feel like it b/c of the annoyance, to police is considered a sign of guiltiness. LOL The police will be on your side and suggest to the man that he needs to move (which will PO him to no end) and they will consider HIM the annoyance. LOL

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:41 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • Every time the police come to your door and they see that nothing is going on. Than press charges against him for harassment. He may want you to move out so he can have your apt.??

    Answer by gammie at 9:50 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • You can also file charges for a false police report. That's a thought.

    Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • People with children should always live on the first floor. We just moved out of an apartment and requested to move to a bottom floor so our son could run and play without disturbing our neighbor. You may not see it as noise but if the child is running and jumping as small children do it probably does sound like someone moving furniture. The tenant below should not have to hear it. I would suggest seeing if you can move to another unit.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • Document how many times the police come and talk to you, what they say the complaint was etc. Then write a formal complaint to the manager or landlord each time it happens, and send it via registered mail. Keep copies. After 3 or 4 letters, take your proof and file a harrasment charge with the police, who are probably already aware of what's going on. They can't do anything unless you press charges against him though. The first time they show up at the door after you file a police complaint, tell the officers, show them the police report and they will go up and have a "little talk" with HIM! That ought to stop his little game. If it doesn't you have the upper hand and can actually take him to court for it. You will win, because you have the proof, and the police reports, and can possibly have a policeman there to testify in your behalf as well.

    Answer by pagan_mama at 10:44 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.