What are the pros and cons of living in Texas?

I was discussing moving with my family. We are thinking San Antonio...

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 3:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was born & raised in TX ans still live here. I've lived other places, as DH was in the Navy the first 4 yrs. of our marriage. This is home to me & I love it! Like the others have said, it has great food, the people are very friendly and it isn't overly expensive to live here. It is a BIG state, but there are lots of places to go and see. It is rich in culture & history.

The only drawback I could possible think of is it is SO hot & humid in the summer. I could easily be swayed to move somewhere more arid June thru Sept.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 9:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• HA!!!!! I live in san antonio right now....I can't wait to leave!!!!! Hubby needs to hurry up and finish this deployment!!!!! seriously though, I hate it here...no snow...no real seasons...the weather changes daily...and allergies are horrible.
    mrsmonkeytoes

Answer by mrsmonkeytoes at 3:20 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• We live in the Northwest. It is beautiful, but there is NO sun. We have had a really long dreary winter and spring is taking it's sweet time. My parents were stationed at Lackland and I remember it being nice in San Antonio. What is it like now.(That was a long time ago.)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I haven't heard anything good about Texas. My hubby and a bunch of other guys extended to stay in Korea because they do NOT want to be stationed in Texas. My good friend is stationed there and hates it. I'm sure there has to be something good about it though - just haven't heard anything yet.
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 3:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I am from Texas. If you had to live one place in Texas, I would say that San Antonio is the best.

Pro: All of the houses come with central air! woo hoo!
    Con: Hurricanes
    Pro: Fabulous Mexican food!
    Con: Crowded
    Pro: Riverwalk, so pretty!
    Con: Red State (might not be a problem, could be a pro for some : ))
    Pro: SeaWorld!
    Con: Braun Rd Intersection on 1604 bottleneck
    Pro: Close to the gulf, white sandy beaches, and crystal blue waters.
    Con: Lack of Grocery Variety
    Pro: Cultural Diversity
    Con: Low Cost of Living
    Pro: Friendly People
    Pro: Great place to raise a family

Couldn't end with a Con
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 3:44 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Idk, my mother was there visiting my uncle and she said San Antonio was very dumpy looking. She said the river walk is the only nice thing there to look at.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Low cost of living is a plus but the fall is you don't get paid squat and it's a right to work state
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Best Tex-Mex, best BBQ, friendly people...but yeah, the weather sucks! I live in DFW but am in North Carolina for a year and I miss so much!
    sariejack

Answer by sariejack at 5:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It's a red state!
    Deb_Jones

Answer by Deb_Jones at 6:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• WELL I work for National Flood the government backed flood insurance program and I can tell you depending on the part of Texas the flood insurance is expensive and the flooding is often!!!
    Risque

Answer by Risque at 7:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2009