How can I stop diarrhea?

my daughter is 8 months old, and she's been having diarrhea for almost a week now ......... what can i do to stop it? she doesn't have a fever, or any new symptoms ....... her diarrhea was green for a while, now its turning yellow, is that a good sign? (sorry for the description)............

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• anything new? A new fruit or veggie? Did someone give her grown up food or a taste of it? It could be an allergic reaction. Call your doctor and let them know its been going on for so long...my doctor suggested a little bit of baby's yogurt...but ask doctor first ok! Sometimes they just get it for no reason..make sure you keep fluids pumping...also ask the doctor about pedialite..I gave it to my son just a very little when he would have bad diareah cause it would dehydrate him badly.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• A week is way too long for a baby to have diarrea. Take her in and get her evaluated. It could be an allergy. (Wheat, celiac disease or IBS) Good luck, please update us when you find out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• make sure shes getting plenty of fluids!! pedialtye!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• call the ped, plenty of fluids, and banana's, rice, applesauce, toast. All binding foods that are gentle to tummy's.
    southernwldchld

Answer by southernwldchld at 5:24 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Based on the colors, it almost sounds like rotavirus. If that's the case, it could last a couple of weeks. Is it diarrhea (6-8 times per day) or loose bowels (not as often, but just as watery). Not that either is great, but loose bowels lower the risk of her dehydrating.

If she's not vomiting, she's still able to take in liquid. Make sure you give her what she normally takes (formula or breastmilk) and that should be enough. If you wish to give anything else, stick to water since any of the other drinks(pedialyte, gatorade, juice)have sugar in them which tend to make diarrhea worse.

If she's eating food (and not vomiting), give her starch, starch, starch, starch, carbs, carbs, carbs, carbs...breads, bananas (real ones, not baby food), pastas, rices, potatoes, etc. Steer clear of anything fatty.

If you notice she's becoming dehydrated (eyes moist?, inside of mouth moist?) call the doctor at the first sign.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• like the pp's said pedialyte bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, and carrots are also good for slowing things down
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I know it sounds odd, but rice water. My son had a round of this. Just boil some rice and let the water turn to a milky color and let it cool. Then give it to her, about 2-3 oz. My son didn't mind it so we were able to give it in his bottle. (He was 8 1/2 months when we did)

It worked over night!
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 11:04 AM on Apr. 13, 2009