My 15 month old rocks on his sleep!

he will bang his back or head against his crib while he is asleep. He does it some during the day. He is easily distracted away. the doctor isn't concerned. He is a preemie if that matters.
Anyone else deal with this? I would like him to stop he is leaving small bruises.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he isn't a climber and you've removed the crib bumpers, you might try putting them back in to protect his head. I also vaguely remember a friends child doing this and it was a "stress" sort of thing. you might review your routine for the 1 hr before bedtime to make it as calming as possible.
    Anonymous

• You need to see a different doctor that does'nt sound normal at all to me. Please call and make a new doctors appointment TODAY......GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I've heard that rocking may be associated with autism hun...get him checked or an opinion from another doctor. Not to panic you of course. Try some other sleeping habits for him...give him a stuffed doggy or a sippy cup to sooth himself instead of the rocking...maybe you need to rock him instead? GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• A friend of mine has triplets that were premie and they all three do this.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 11:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• thank you all for your concern. Autism was also a concern for me. I have had him to 2 specialist. I guess it is a self soothing mechanism common in preemies. I wish he would stop though cause he bonks his poor noggin and wakes his sister. Any suggestions. I have given him a teddy bear.
    Anonymous

• thanks. He usually just plays before bed and then goes to sleep. maybe a massage or book might help.
    Anonymous