How often should dessert be served?

I like to have dessert every evening, but my dh thinks it should be strictly limited but doesn't know how often. We aren't an overweight family, although a couple of the children are headed that way if they aren't careful. What would you recomend?

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 7:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• You could choose a couple night out of the week. Or serve fruit, yogurt, frozen yogurt, or other healthy options. Or just one night out of the week & serve chocolate chip cookies, cakes, cheesecakes, etc. They're ok in moderation.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 8:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• We don't have dessert every night, but we don't have a set number of nights either. Basically, the way I handle it is if we are having leftovers, we'll have dessert. Usually, our leftovers are enough to make a second meal, but not enough to totally fill you up, if you get what I mean. So, then we'll have a little dessert just to kind of "top us off". If I cook a from scratch meal, then we usually don't have dessert. Every now and then, if it's something that is not super filling, I might make dessert on one of those nights. We usually do some kind of cookie, cake, brownie, pudding, ice cream for dessert. It should be healthier, I know, but I figure it's supposed to be a treat.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• we only have dessert if we go out to eat. I do not have cookies, cakes, and ice cream in the house.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My kids are allowed a cookie after dinner if they finish it ALL, but a lot of nights their dessert consists of a cup of pineapple, apple and peanut butter, etc. We try to do healthier versions of desserts. also the cookies they have a organic/ all natural peanut butter ones. I try to keep as little junk around as possible. Anything beyond these desserts is a big treat, which isnt done often.
    Anne.Marie

Answer by Anne.Marie at 9:58 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I love sweets and would opt to have them every night if I knew it wasnt going directly to my thighs!! However, once DD is old enough for food, I would try to have healthier options- sherbert instead of ice cream, fruit crisp (made with oatmeal) instead of cookies, or homemade granola bars instead of a different sugary treat. Desert every night is okay, just be aware of portion sizes- THAT is the most important.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 3:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I have whatever I want (just a smaller portion) once a week. Friday night I was out and ate an apple pie topped with cinnamon icecream and caramel! (I shared it with one of my friends lol). YUM
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• dessert in my house is fruit or yogurt. Can't really go wrong with doing that every night!
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2009