If enough people were to quit smoking?

Who would pay for SCHIP?

Does anyone else think Obama is the biggest idiot for relying on people to keep smoking to fund a healthcare program?
I and 5 of my friends quit. We have 200 in our online group who are quitting. What if we all really do quit? What if more across the nation quit? Who will pay for this program? Or does Obama have no faith in us and knows he can charge us more because we will pay? Not me. Don't you think he is a waste of a President for this SCHIP/cigerette tax. You are damned if you do quit (someone else has to pay for SCHIP) and you are damned if you don't (your health risks).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• There will ALWAYS be something else that the government can tax to make up for those who quit smoking (KUDOS, by the way!)--like increasing taxes on alcohol, fast food, or anything else they deem unhealthy--including who they determine to be unhealthy!

That's socialism for yah--eventually EVERYONE will be taxed to death just for the privilege of breathing! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Exactly what Lori said they'd just find something else to tax which i'm sure they will be doing regardless.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:09 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• That all just sounded good for political reasons, it doesn't matter where it ever came from, the government always had enough money to pay for things like this it was just a matter of how they wanted to direct the funds from which account to what program. Obama is not an idiot, the 64 million people that voted for him are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think the tax increase on cigarettes is a good idea. The main purpuse is to REDUCE smoking. Plus the increase will HELP fund the states childrens health insurance fund. It will reduce the amount of teenagers smoking, which is a GOOD thing.
    Secondhand smoke exposure causes disease and premature death in children and adults who do not smoke. Smoke related disease increases hospital costs.
    The second I have to breathe your smoke, you've violated my rights. I don't want to breathe garbage. Smokers should pay more taxes! Smoking is their choice.
    Plus smoking is actually higher among the unemployed and uninsured. If they smoke... they have to pay taxes. Its an EXCELLENT TAX THANK YOU OBAMA!
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 8:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• BTW... who will pay for SCHIP? We already do pay for schip through our taxes, except now smokers will pay a little more. This additional tax might help my taxes stay the same.

The State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) is a program administered by the United States Department of Health and Human Services that provides matching funds to states in for health insurance to families with children. The program was designed with the intent to cover uninsured children in families with incomes that are modest but too high to qualify for Medicaid.

Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 8:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• First, let me say~Kudos for quitting smoking. If enough people quit smoking, Obama will find another way to tax people to pay for his programs. False HOPE and loose CHANGE is how I best describe the Obama Administration...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Good for you for quitting.........As for the smoking tax. This in theory is good because it will maybe help some to quit and become healthy while helping to pay for a healthcare program for our children, who by the way, have insurance in most states for free or a lower rate. The problem with the theory is this. Let's say 3/4 of the USA quits smoking. This reduces the number of tobacco plants the farmer has to plant and harvest. This also reduces the number of farm equipment pieces he will need. This reduces the number of farm workers to harvest the tobacco. This reduces the number of cigarettes and tobacco products being made. This reduces the number being sold. And this all reduces jobs, taxes from the tobacco industry and the smoker. Now, just who picks up the tab for these millions of dollars lost?
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• According to WHO smoking is the second major cause of death in the world today, actually 10% of all adults dying is caused by smoking.

If nothing is done to change smoking patterns, 10 million people will die from smoking in the year 2020, and the problem is only growing.

The damage from tobacco to the worldwide economy is devastating, not to mention the direct impact it has in health expenses trying to minimize the damage, smoking also kills loads of people at the height of their productive years, thereby causing severe economical damage.

I have faith in PEOPLE... Keep our children healthy and educate them.
    I vote for Green Jobs of the Future.....instead of the tobacco industry!
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 9:40 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yes he is a idiot.............We are going to be taxes to death.
    ON APRIL 15 There is going to be tea parties go support. This is not about Obama it is about no more taxes.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:41 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• There is no way a President can make everyone happy. So you see him as an idiot, SORRY! LOL He is making CHANGES WE want. (Majority of people who voted for him) As far as I'm concern, the IDIOT is gone! It's your turn to SUFFER!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2009