Do you have more than one teenager living at home?

If you do, how do you assign chores equally and fairly?

Should boys and girls do certain "gender" chores or are all chores equal to both genders?

Do you rotate the chores so each teen has a turn at them, or does each teen stick with one particular chore because they do it so well?

I know these are a lot of questions. I am just curious. Feel free to explain your teen's chore system to me.

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 8:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• The chores aren't split equally. I have a pool and it takes a bit of muscle as well as training to clean it, so my boy, 15, has that chore (and its a heavy job but only 1/2 the year); the daughter, 13, has to take the trash out which is easy but very repetive. And they both empty the diswasher, which they usually split - and first to start, gets to pick top or bottom. And generally speaking they have to clean their rooms, put away their wash. During vacation periods, they usually have more jobs - like vaccuming, and same thing, he who starts picks which floor they will vacuum.

They don't complain about chores being equal, and while they do some times complain about things not being fair, I tell them 'that's right, life isn't fair so you better get used to it". Essentially, the chores are decided on what I need, not on the idea of being fair.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 11:03 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• seventeen year old daughter fourteen year old son. and no i really dont split up the chores. they do them equally except laundry noone does laundry but me. they think they can just fill up the washer with whatever and turn it on. they each take turns at different things. but being teens i usuallly end up doing it anyways lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I have two teen daughters, ages 15 and 17, living at home. I also have a 20 year old daughter living at home with her newborn baby.
    Originally, each teen were given certain chores and were expected to do them at all times. They then brought it to our attention that they were tired of doing the same chores over and over again and they were tired of their older sister not helping out around the house, either.
    So we took many ordinary chores that are done daily and have each of the three girls do them on a rotation basis during the week to make it fair to all three of them. I am the one who does the most care for my granddaughter (long story) so my 20 year old has plenty of time to do her share of chores, which aren't difficult at all.
    The weekly chores are done by all three together as a cohesive unit (washing bathrooms, yardwork, dusting, etc).
    So far, so good.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I am not to the teens part yet with my kids, but I am close. I rotate chores. We have a chart on the wall that lists Mon - Sunday on it and then each persons name. the same chores rotate between each person so that everyone has the chores they like and the ones they hate.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:18 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I have a1 5yo and a 12 yo. They have had chores since they were younger. Much younger and they have changed somewhat over the years. No they have the same amount of chores.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I must suck as a Mom, I can't get them to do anything!! they act like whinny brats lately!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:44 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I have a teen and a tween. Eleven and 14. Chores are usually equal, but the tween gives me much more trouble about work. She hates anything that resembles or even smells like work. They are both quite capable of doing anything I ask. The teen is better with the laundry but I prefer that no one touch my machines. I don't want them torn up.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I have a teen and a tween, 12y/o girl, 15y/o boy, they are assigned gender related chores and they usually complain and complain and refuse to do them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• theres a bunch here. lol i am one of them. my mom has a chart on the wall of the week. everyone gets assigned one chore to do every day of that week, after that we rotate. if theres more than that many chorse for u, hav them do 2 or 3. if say u give them trash, my mom makes us do one more thing because it doesnt go up every day. if they dont do the chorse they dont get allowance or they get grounded for a weekend to think abotu wut they did.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2009