How do you handle a toddler and TWO newborns?

So we had a very early ultrasound today and I may have a mental breakdown, there were two heartbeats and two sacs. We are facing the strong possibility of two new lives! I'm only 6w and 3d. We have a daughter who will be 3 a month or two after the birth of these two babies. We have a Chevy Malibu to put 3 car seats in! We are in no way financially able to purchase another car. How do I go grocery shopping when my husband deploys next Spring? How do I do anything with 3 children under 3?!?!?! I'm anonymous because we haven't announced to anybody we're even pregnant, let alone that we face to possibility of TWINS!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Everything will fall into place. Im not Religious AT ALL...but ive heard the quote "God doesn't give you more than you can handle" so pretty much, If he thought that 3 children under 3YO would be too much, he wouldnt make you go through with all this.

As for my situation, I had an unplanned pregnancy..im 39 weeks and my fiance doesnt have a job..i have a job interview today (sad i know because im due next week and hes to f*cking lazy to get a job) We're both not financiall ready, but we have sooo much support, that it helps us be ready..

i dont believe in Abortion nor do i believe in adoption (i was adopted and i dont like the feeling of knowing i was adopted, no matter what angle i look at it)
    Im sure you'll do just fine. Im in a tough situation too =P but i believe i can do this..
    <3
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 8:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• hi! Congratulations!! I'm not in your position with multiples. I do have three children and for all three of mine for what it's worth, the three's were far more grown up than the two's. I'm offering this up thinking a three year old with newborns could be easier than a two year old with newborns. When my second was born and when my third was born, they were allowed to cuddle with quietly when I fed the newest baby - it was shhhhhh time, our code for quiet. Maybe under groups here in cm sesarch for mommies of multiples. Blessings to you and your family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I don't personally have any advice for you, but it sounds like youre questions are very valid. I would get into a group for moms with multiples and find some support. I am sure there are many other moms in your situation and can answer your questions. I know it doesnt feel like it now, but these babies are a blessing to you. You will get it all figured out and it sounds like you have time to process too. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Its going to be ok.

Say that to yourself over and over until the hysteria subsides. My kids are 5,4,3 (well in less than a month) 2,2, (again in just about a month). I am due in June with #6. I thought when I found out I was pregnant with twins, I was going to fall over and die. Lol. When my twins were born my kids were 3,2,1 and that made life REALLY chaotic.

My best advice is succumb to the chaos and do your best to organize it. Realize that things are going to take a LOT more time. If you have to be somewhere are 6 with the kids, get your bag packed (or always keep one packed) and start getting the kids ready 30-45 minutes sooner than you'd normally expect. This does two things; ensures you are not late (and sometimes you still may be) and two; allows you to not feel so rushed because the babies and tots will pick up on that and stress right along with you.

As for your Malibu... good news! Your seats will fit!
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 9:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My sister has a Chevy Malibu and three carseats fit perfect in the back of her car.

Just continue to think positive!
    I have always believed that twins are a special type of blessing. I can't explain it. My boys are identical and sometimes I look and them and think... "you must have a really special reason for being here..." because there is TWO of them.

If you need any advice or just someone to talk to... feel free to email me. I've totally been there.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Oh honey don't fret! I have 5 under 6 and my indentical twin girls are 11 months old! I usually get together with the other wife/moms of the other Marines in my husband's platoon and we trade off watching each other's kids for trips to the grocery store, doctor's appointments and things like that! If that's not possible the ask a friend to buddy up with you when you go.

My husband and I were like deer in headlights when the sono tech told us there were two as well and Im not going to lie it took me a few months to settle down and actually get used to the idea, my husband on the other hand still looks at me and says 'wow we have twins!' LOL They're something else altogether but they're such a blessing!

Just take a few deep breaths, find the book "Twins: Pregnany, Birth and The First Year of Life" by Connie Agnew, Alan Klein and Jill Alison Ganon and get ready for all the quips of google-eyed strangers LOL Congrats hun!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• you should start practicing now for all the dumb things people will stop you to say..... other than that, 1) acquaint your DD with the idea that "her" Babies are coming, attend a siblings class with her if you can.... she will probably be a big help! 2) find a moms of multiples group (or any infant playgroup) so you can get some real live friends who will probably be more than willing to give you some much needed rest 3) don't sweat the small stuff, yes, it's hard but yes, you will make it work. Chin up!
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 9:49 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I definitely second the idea of finding a CM support group for moms of multiples. Secondly, make sure that if you don't have family or friends nearby, get out and get to know some of the other military spouses! We're stationed overseas, and let me tell you, having military spouse friends has been a LIFESAVER during the deployment...and I'm not even pregnant!!! (My boys are 2 and 3 years old.) Hang in there!
    smiley_netta

Answer by smiley_netta at 10:23 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I would probably get a double stroller to hook the carseats into, or a twin front carrier for when they are really little. For shopping, I would put the twins in the stroller, and the 3 year old into the front of the cart and pull the cart while pushing the stroller. I think it would be really scary at first to figure it all out, but I also think that it will just become your way of life. Congrats on the new babies by the way! I am really hoping for one more, but my husband isn't on board yet.
    mzfam99

Answer by mzfam99 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• my friend has 3 year old triplets and a 1 year old little girl and she says the only way to handle things is to accept any help that is offered. You have a car that holds 3 car seats, your set on a vehicle. Clean out your trunk and use that for groceries. If you have to go to the store, take a friend with you and use two carts. Congrats on the new upcoming bundles of joy!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2009