Does your period alter the results of a mammogram? I would think that the mammory glands are swollen or different in some way during that time...does anyone know??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Health

• I just went to my OB and she was talking to me about one because I will have to get one between now and the next four years. She said to make sure I do it a week after my period because it can be more painful if I didn't

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Christine0813 is right. I've always been advised to wait a week about after my period. The squishing hurts less and if there are cysts they can deflate somewhat further away from the period. Certainly if you have a lump it should be checked out. Wish ultrasound were done before mammos, lot less nervewracking. If any thing like a mass is found an ultrasound should be done that day or another day to see if it's a cyst. That's like an ob ultrasound but ya dont gatta hold in pee!!! YEAH!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Hey, thanks for the heads up. I just got back from taking my very first mammogram and all went well a little sore after but all in all it was worth it and the results were normal...YAY ME!!
    sexymommyrb

Answer by sexymommyrb at 2:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2009