"Stomach flu" question?

I tried looking this up online already and couldn't find the info. Does anyone here know the incubation time for the stomach flu? Does it tend to happen almost immediately after you've gotten the germ/virus or is it a few days?

My son woke up this morning throwing up and I'm doing my best to disinfect the entire house so the rest of us don't catch it. I'm hoping I don't already have it and the symptoms just haven't shown yet.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Health

• Yuck, I feel for you, Renee! I'm not sure of the incubation period but 2 years ago, a stomach virus went through our house and it spread very quickly. I came down with it around 8 p.m., hubby was sick by 1 a.m. and sometime during the night, Zac did also. My mom came over to try to take care of Zac for us in the morning and by that night she was sick too. It may depend on the strain of stomach virus that he has but I would think that if you make it to Wednesday and you're not sick, you're in the clear. I would just keep disinfecting and washing your hands! I've got my fingers crossed for you!
    ZacsMom

Answer by ZacsMom at 4:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• it usually lives inside someone for a few days before the signs show. If he had it and was around others they will probably get it as well no matter how much disinfectant you use. If he shared a cup, food or coughed or anything the germs are in the air. The virus has to be present in your system and attack it before you get the symptoms. So he has probably had it for at least 24 to 48 hours.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:41 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I'm not sure but as long as they are puking and running a fever it is contagious. My boys went through this back in Jan for two weeks on and off. It wasn't as bad as the first episode when it did come on. In fact my younger one was in the hospital for IVs because he just couldn't stay hydrated and they were also given the generic form of Zofran to help with the puking. Hope he gets well soon.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2009