What if kids learned more in school?

I was wondering how much would change if girls learned more about the process of being pregnant & giving birth & breastfeeding along with sex ed. if it would change how woman give birth, and what about the history of giving birth in america & also around the world?

Whats your opinion? Do you think it would be a good thing for girls to learn more about how their body works? I mean, boys have a pretty basic anatomy, but there is so much we dont learn as woman about our own body until we either get pregnant or after we have given birth & realized we didnt know anything, about our OWN body!

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think so, but I dont think its the schools job to do it. I think its moms job. There are a lot of things about our bodies that we need to know, boys included and we don't know it because our parents arent talking about it. I really liked what Laura Berman had to say on Oprah last week about teaching our girls about sexual response, age appropriately of course. NO one told me that I was supposed to feel pleasure during sex, much less how to acheive it. I had to learn all on my own and I was married a few years before I figured it all out. How sad. So yes, I think that we should teach more about what our bodies do and what they are there for but I think the less responsibility we give the school system, the better. They can't even handle teaching the basics.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:21 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• im sure it would give them a batter understanding but im not sure it would keep the teen pregnancy rate down. even if they ddi understabnd they probly wotn stop havin sex. i think that its really up to the parents to give them the basics and yes skools should give them a better idea of it. but they should split the class up since girls hav a lot more to leanr about their bodies than boys.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I agree. But there are alot of other factors to include too. Dr's are supposed to be trusted in every other aspect, but in childbirth they are taught to ignore a womans natural ability adn to medicalize it. That has got to change too, maybe by starting at the teaching hospitals.

It is amazing how many women dont know simple things about birth and pregnancy. And how many Dr's dont realize that if you get off your back it might help with the all to often "failure to progress" cesarean.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:23 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• xhellxfire495-- the point of teaching a teen more about her body wouldnt be to keep her from having sex, it would be to teach her, simply, more about her body & how it works, and the process of what happens AFTER CONCEPTION.. In sex ed, health class-- they dont really tell you much after what happens when egg meets sperm..

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• i have seen many women in labor walking around to try and move the birth along the few times i have been in the maternity ward. and my doctors gave me the option to do it with out medication. the nurses told me they would do everything they could to help me give birth without the epid. i didn't have an epideral.

and on education, i think we should learn more about our bodies in school because i can tell you now and i could have told you before my baby that i dont know as much as i should know about my body. my SD makes me realize this everyday...lol.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I agree that it isn't the school's job to do it. Every girl matures at a different pace and I would hate for a girl who wasn't ready to hear it to have to sit through it.

I think parents need to tell their children as much as they can, but still without experiencing it you really just can't completely understand it.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I AGREE WITH MOMOOFSAEE FOR THE MOST PART. BUT CAN WE SEE OURSELVES TALKING TO OUR CHILDREN ABOUT THE PLEASURES OF SEX? I DON'T THINK THERE ARE TOO MANY OUT THERE THAT WOULD TOUCH THIS WITH A TEN FOOT POLE! WHEN I WAS A TEEN AND FIRST HAD SEX IN A VERY LOVING RELATIONSHIP, IN THE BACK OF MY MIND THERE WAS ALWAYS MY PARENTS SAYING THIS IS BAD, SO I FELT A LITTLE TRAUMATIZED AT FIRST, UNTIL I REALIZED THE WONDERFUL FEELING THEY FORGOT TO MENTION.

I ALWAYS TOLD MY GIRLS WHEN THEY BECAME TEENS NOT TO GIVE AWAY THEIR VIRGINITY FOR THE SAKE OF BLENDING IN BUT TO DO IT WITH MEANING SO IT WOULD MOLD THE REST OF THEIR ADULT LIFE.

Answer by older at 12:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Oh, I agree momofsaee!!
    The more we do with our kids at home the better, on EVERY subject. But I say school because that is where the largest part of our population learns everything...

As for the pleasure in sex, yes I think we can talk to our kids about it, it just takes a little thought on our part on how to say it the right way. No diffrent than masterbation- dont make your kids feel shameful of touching themselves just always tell them its something you only do in private.. I think by being more open to that at a young age will help a girl grow into a woman that is more comfortable & better knowing of her own body.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2009