• In the Spotlight:

Do you make "empty promises" to your child?

When you need your child to work with you & your trying to be nice/positive/whatever (lol) do you make empty promises that you know you cant / wont do?
For example, you lay your kid down for a nap, but they are being difficult, do you say things like "if you hurry & go to sleep we can go to the park" when you know your actually not going..
Your trying to leave a public place, child doesnt want to, so instead of making a scene you nicely say "come on we got to hurry & go to the park to swing!"

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• No. I never make a promise to my kids unless I plan to keep it. Breaking promises is a great way to get your kids to realize they can't trust you and shouldn't believe you. My kids know when I tell them something, anything at all, that they can trust me. They know I will never lie to them or make a promise that I won't keep.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:16 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• no. i want my children to trust me.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Nope, my mom did that to me and I never could believe her, plus once they catch on they wont trust you and still wont listen. I want my kids to listenbecause the respect me and know there will be consequences. There are times whn I say I will do something and am not able to later, like I say we are goint to the park after school, and something comes up and we arent able to, I always appologize and tell them why, and we go another day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No. I will make a maybe statement I really mean that maybe we can go. But never if I just know we aren't going.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My children are all grown now, but I tried to always keep my word to my children. I still do. I would much rather not say that I will do anything than to say that I will and then not follow through. To me, it is nothing more than telling a lie. I hate to disappoint anyone, especially my children and my grandchildren.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My dh does this.... im trying to help him stop, but its a slow process..

For me, I want my kids to trust what im telling them, so i only say what is true. Yes Ive made promises, but they are real! If we are planning to go to the park that day, or go see a favorite family member & telling them will help me get through a moment.. yea i use it! lol..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My mom would never promise anything, she would just say we'd try. If we'd start to whine about it she would reply "I never made a promise". It was bothersome to me as a kid, but was probably a smart idea.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No. The only reason I would, would be if it rained , etc and we couldn't got to the park. My MIL makes them all the time it really irritates me!!
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No, I tell them the truth. If we are planning to go to the park, I will tell them, but if we aren't I won't tell them that. If it rains and we can't go to the park, well, we either find something else to do (like an indoor play area) or we just go the next day.

I don't bribe my children to take naps, or when it's time to leave, though. They just don't get to do ANYTHING fun when it's naptime and they won't lay down and rest. Whether it's play with a toy or play outside or whatever. And in public, they know better than to not behave.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I really really am trying to make an effort to never do that to my son!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 13, 2009