If you do not vaccinate . . .

If you don't vaccinate your kids, how do you get around the school district? I have decided to quit vaccinating my children, and my five year old is supposed to start school this fall. They require a vaccination record for enrollment. I have one, but as far as I know, she won't be current by the time school starts (she WAS vaccinated last year).

Did you have to sign something for them to allow your child into school? How many of you ended up having to home school because of this?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It depends on the state. Every state has an exemption of some kind. Some have just medical, others have religious and philosophical.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Depends on where you live. Some states have religious and medical waivers other states who actually care about people have personal expemtions. I think all states should have a personal expemption waiver. If you cannot get the medical waiver find a religion that is opposed to vaccinations and claim on the papers for school it is your religion. Personally I don't see why we have to share any of our childs personal health information with the school. With Hippa it would seem our children would have some rights. My sons school has only medical and religious waivers so a nurse I know got a state vaccination card and put he had his shots and signed random initials. The school accepted it they don't check it just look at the card you give them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• http://www.vaccineinfo.net/exemptions/index.shtml

there you go! :) They have religious and philosophical!

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Children can die from the diseases you choose not to get them vaccines for. They do not die from Autism if that is what you are afraid of. I would rather have a child alive and with Autism than dead because I chose not to vaccinate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Depends on the state. I have lived in FL and PA. In Pa I just stated a personal belief and a little letter was all I needed. In FL I had to get a form filled out at the Health department, but it was not big deal. All states have some form of exemption, either personal, religious or medical, so don't make it the only reason to keep vaccinating. I was also concerned when I first sent my daughter to kindergarten, but it was no big deal.
    LovemygirlsPH

Answer by LovemygirlsPH at 10:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• celticreverie,

Thank you so much for that link. That will come in very helpful.

Anon9:37,

Actually autism has nothing to do with why I chose to stop vaccinating. It's the fact that some ingredients in the vaccinations themselves go against some of my moral and ethical beliefs.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• LOL. Didn't you know that is why she posted in anon. :) lol. I always am amused by the dead baby card. More children die/get critically injured by vaccines then from the diseases we vaccinate against.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:42 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

Sorry anon but that is the most IGNORANT thing I have ever heard.
    Most people who decide not to vaccinate would agree with me. We EDUCATE ourselves on this decision before we decide. We know that the risks and the benefits. And just so you know your child can DIE from vaccinations as well and that HAS been proven as well. There are risks with everything we do. You can also die from driving or riding in cars but we all still do it.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 10:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• most of these woman did a great job at giving you the right info.
    there are also several groups within cafemom that can help you like "educate before you vaccinate" and ...a few others too. look them up and join them. They can help you with any questions you might have. ...some of them are really zealous. but most will be very helpful. i dont thnk i've ever seen any individual person be bashed for a choice.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2009