If you fully trust your doctor....

I hear often that woman will lisnen to what their dr tells them, because drs know best....
Drugs during birth are FINE-- My dr. would never give me something that may hurt me or baby!
My dr. would never put me at risk by giving me extra ultrasounds if it wasnt safe...

If you look back, not to long ago- woman were giving xrays during pregnancy, before ultrasounds. They thought it was safe. research what this did to kids!
There are drugs that your mothers or grandmothers could have (or did) take that are now off the market because *in time* we learned they were dangerous!
Ask your mother & older family members if they remember giving birth. It wasnt long ago that woman were druged & STRAPPED to a table to give birth! They went through the labor alone, in pain, but didnt remember it!
Do you still trust Doctors are all knowing!? Or are they still playing a guessing game, with you & your babies health, your life.

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• (insert frantic applause) AMEN!!!

I hate the way women are treated during childbirth these days. A Dr thinks it is fine if you get an epidural, but what her really means is that if you stall or your blood pressure drops, then he is fine with giving you a cesarean. THEY DONT TELL YOU THAT PART!!! How did they get through med school not knowing so much about the anatomy of a laboring woman? And aot of women think that Dr will take care of them, they are there to make sure you and baby dont die, and they generally do a good job at that, but they dont have enough knowledge to know how your feeling about abor and delivery will affect the outcome of things, or that you want a vaginal birth, just that they deliver a baby and no matter how as long as they get paid. Or about the drugs they give you. Or the fact that they use t to their advantage if you are in pain to preform procedures you didnt agree to.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:49 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Any women who puts blind faith in anyone, including a doctor, is irresponsible. Especially when it effects not just them.

It was called twilight sleep, and it was disgusting. They women still felt pain, etc, but couldn't remember a thing. They were put in what looked like strait jackets and strapped to beds. I couldn't imagine.

Cytotec is still being used to induce labor, even though it can be fatal and cause serious complications.

People stopped putting trust in their ability to birth, which is why the maternal mortality rate hasn't gotten lower in the US for many many years! Unlike other developed countries.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I like to find a midwife who's along for the ride. One who's guiding you & there if you need them, rather then directing everything. If there was a problem, they would be there to assist or to answer questions, but overall--just let me go through pregnancy and L&D as naturally as possible. (mine did prescribe Zofran after much discussion about my all-day sickness & weight loss) I think people put too much trust in doctors when they don't inform themselves about the pregnancy or illness or other ailment. It needs to be a partnership with a lot of communication about each situation or action taken.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• oh gee. You're basically complaining that things have improved!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I too, hate the mindset that doctors know everything and (gasp!) my doctor would never do anything wrong. Not just with pregnancy, but also with my own health and my kids. I think that every person needs to do the research on their condition or issue themselves, listen to their doctors advice and then make an educated decision. You can't just go along with what your doc says about everything. I also have a chiropractor and his advice is usually polar opposite of whatever the allopathic doctor said. Sometimes, hes right and sometimes he not. Listening to your own body, gut instinct and doing your own research is very important. You do have to trust them to a point, but a doctor who will tell you what they know and let you make the final call is a good one. They respect the fact that you are in charge. I love that.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:40 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• After witnessing a doctor come into my client's room in postpartum and making her cry because he chewed her out for "making him miss his appointments for the day" because she had a thirteen hour labor, I no longer trust doctors. They work on a level of convenience and convenience alone. The more intervention in the birth, the higher they get paid for it. Just imagine... a doctor is falling behind on his bills and his next check isn't going to cut it. He'll tell a woman she needs a c-section just so he can get the extra cash to not fall behind in HIS life.

The Twilight Sleep era was terrifying to read about and even more so to hear about from my Grandmother. I was given Twilight during a spinal tap and I remember the pain very well. I have vivid memories of things I saw or heard during the procedure. I was out of my mind and screaming. Ever since then I've had a fear of being put under. I can't imagine birthing that way.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Oh also, my doctor managed to convince me into getting an epidural (I was seventeen) by telling me "If you think you're hurting now, it's only going to get worse." I told him I didn't want my baby drugged out. He said it was fine and that lots of women get the epidural every day and their babies are fine. An hour after I had it, I gave birth to my silent son. He was breathing, but he was not at all alert and wouldn't cry even when they slapped his feet and jostled him with the blanket. When they pricked his foot with a needle, he let out a delayed cry. I asked if he was okay and the nurse said that he was fine "Just groggy from the epidural." Wait... WHAT? Lies upon lies upon lies... Like I said before. Convenience.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009