For mothers that DO vaccinate

Are you worried about when your kid goes to school and comes in contact with those that arent vaccinated?

*****Im REALLY NOT trying to cause drama (and in fact will probably delete this question once people start bashing each other) I think your its your choice to do either, and you have your reasons for or against.******

But I just had some crazy scenario running off in my head of my son getting terribly ill from another kid at school that didnt have vaccinations.

And, do you think the school should know a child's health record and whether they are up to date or not? And should they make this known to other parents?

I just want to get your thoughts ladies, please be civil and respectful of others!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• 1. Vaccines are not full proof. We had a measles outbreak and guess who got measles? lol. The unvaxed children were sent home. So the school does know who is and isn't!

2. No, they should not be allowed to breech confidentiality and tell other parents who is and isn't vaccinated. That violates any privacy laws.

3. Do you know that there are tons of diseases, that are serious, that your school aged child doesn't get a vaccine against right? LOL. So it would be easy for them to get sick, regardless of vaccines. Take a look at pneumonia. There are 80 strains and only 23 covered by the pneumococcil (sp?) vaccine. Also, many bacterial infections don't have vaccines.

I think living with these fears is irrational. Your child could get molested by a teacher, or harmed at school which is far scarier then getting sick.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No, because that is the purpose of the vaccinations. I got my children vaccinated so they would not have to worry about those who are not. The school does need to know whether they are up to date on shots which I think is a good thing, however it is no one elses (any parents) to know those things.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:55 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• why would you be worried? ...are you afraid the vaccine wont work? ...if you're afraid the vaccine wont work then why would you vaccinate your children in the first place?

my DSS is 3you and up to date on all his vaccines. ...but not by my choice. He will not get any more until he is in his teenage years. And they will be selective.

But my point is, if you are going to vaccinate your children, you need to be fully confident in your choice. Just as those who dont vaccinate should be.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My kids are fully vaxed. Vaccines are not fool proof, so yes, I do have some concern that they could still get the illness from an unvaxed kid, but not an outrageous amount. The same as they could get a cold from another kid, they could get chicken pox, measles or whatever. I'm not going to wrap them in a bubble. The vaccine is to make it less likely they will get it, not a guarentee that they will not get it. And if my kid did get it, I certainly wouldn't blame an unvaxed kid. I'd have no way of knowing how they got it; maybe they got it from another vaxed kid.

I do think schools need to be aware of who is and isn't vaxed, but no, they absolutely should not inform other parents. That is not the business of any other parent.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2009