Would you quit your job if?

You never got a break or lunch?, the conditions of the work place and employees were deplorable, and the pay was only $11.00/hr?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• Depends. Has anyone reported them to try to get it fixed? If not, that would be a first step, to try to get things fixed. Otherwise, even though I would be grateful for any job in this economy, I would have to seriously consider quitting.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The company I work for does not let the salaried Managers take a break and they work 10 hour days. They are allowed to eat when they have a chance and to smoke a quick cig, but no clock out breaks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Our salaried employees also don't clock out for breaks. They can take them, but they stay on the clock because they may be needed during their breaks and cannot work off the clock. They also work 45 hours a week instead of 40. So it pans out to 9 hour days. I would take to your HR department or contact the labor department first. If you go outside the company, it can remain anonymous. I would be wary to leave any job right now, to be honest. See if you can take actions to get it fixed first.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I like how you say ONLY $11 an hr like that is just so low. I would love love LOVE to make that much. I only get paid $8.79 an hr, and I get a lunch. Anyway, I would talk to whoever is in charge and ask about the breaks. Then if it isn't fixed there I would contact the EEA (equal employment agency) there should be a poster somewhere for all employees to see. It should be on the same poster that covers harassment. If there isn't one contact your unemployment agency and ask who you should talk to. I also agree with tropicalmama seeing how we are right now I think I would hold off and save save save!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Report them. I would not quit until I had found another job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I would recommend you contact your state department of labor. Depending on your state there are rules and guideline. Look to see which applies to you from the link below. I did not know what state you live in to be able to give you specifics. I would have the definition for your state first, then speak with your employer about creating a work environment that is necessary adn if that does not work then go to the department of labor.

Salaried is defined differently.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/state/meal.htm

You will also want to ask yourself why you stay at the job now?
    What do you do to take care of yourself now?
    What advise would you give to someone else in this situation?

I use this quote when I need advise. "Advise is what we ask for when we know the answer but we do not like it!"

Good Luck
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 2:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Many salaried management/executive positions follow different rules than regular hourly employees. I would look online with your state wage and hour office to see what the state rules are.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No I wouldn't quit but I would try to get it changed. If you're working hourly chances are you're probably taking breaks and taking time to eat on the clock anyway so why not get paid for that time during the day you're slacking off anyway bc im sure everyone takes a few minutes to chat here and there or go to the restroom or vending machines or whatever... Idk your work environment but thats how it usually goes. I would keep my eyes open and search for a new job with better or equal pay though. It might be harder than you think to find a job right now in our economy. Good Luck
    Anonymous

• UPDATE:......I found that the state i live in...(Arizona)...does not have a law that employer must give you a break or a lunch....I always believed they did not have to give you a break...But, always thought they had to at least give you a lunch....????......Well, i don't guess they have to in Arizona.....Now, i am trying to find a way to pass the law here in this state...I don't think it's right that they don't have to give you a lunch. A lot of people are either pregnant, or they have some sort of medical issue and they need that lunch....So, thanks to all who wrote their comments...it was much appreciated!!!!

Anonymous