what does stripped membranes mean?

ashley_nick30

Asked by ashley_nick30 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it's a cervical sweep. It strips the membranes by your water bags which *can* help move things along.. but it's pretty much a 50/50 chance...and a gross process. I don't get vaginal exams period, and wouldn't allow some doctor to have his hand in me messing around : /
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:58 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I have a doc appointment the 20th and they said it is a full vaginal exam I will be 36 wks do u think they will do this ?
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• the doc will take 2 fingers and seperate the bag of water from the cervix...it is painful but works pretty good at getting stuff moving....on most women...
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I hope not. If you don't want it done, say you don't want it done. Some doctors will do it against your will. You don't need a vaginal exam though, it wont tell you anything useful, promise :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• well do u think they will do that too me at 36 weeks ..
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• if you are already dilating maybe, but most will wait untill you are a bit closer to your due date.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:14 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• They almost never would at 36 weeks. They usually wait until about 39ish for your first and in most cases no earlier than 38. The doctor legally can't do it without your permission, it would be quite rare to find a doctor that forces you into that. Especially with malpractice claims going through the roof. I wouldn't worry, but talk to your doctor about when he would do it if he was to and tell him your concerns and whether or not you would want it done.

I had mine swept close to 39 weeks and went into labor the next night.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I had mine striped at 39 1/2 weeks....and here I am 40 weeks plus a day and had them stripped again this morning. My doctor never mentioned this method to me UNTIL I was 37 1/2 weeks....almost 38 so I doubt your doctor will do it until your further along.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 11:49 AM on Apr. 13, 2009