How do I go about getting my daughter tested for Pre-K?

My daughter will be 4 on Sept. 24th. In Florida, this is after the cutoff date to enter Pre-K. However, hubby and I (and many others) have seen many signs in her that she may be gifted. She has a very high vocabulary and also can retain a lot of information (quick learner). She also reached many developmental milestones early. I was told that there may be a test she could take to determine if she could start Pre-K early. I just hate to see so much potential in her and not have her be able to start Pre-K until she is practically 5 years old! Anyone have any advice?

2nsmom

Asked by 2nsmom at 10:55 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't live in Florida but I thought, at least in my state, that pre-K was before Kindergarten and it's a public nursery school or day care company that parents pick and choose from to send a pre-K child?I know Kindergarten itself, when a child is under age or past cut-off dates that special testing can be done. Maybe you mean you want to get her tested to enter Kindergarten at an earlier than usual age?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Anon - Pre-K is preschool, which is not daycare, but actually school focusing on teaching the basic things that need to be known by the child prior to entering Kindergarten. Such as sharing toys, learning numbers, colors, letters, basic social skills for interaction with other children, etc.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Hi CarolynBarnett - what a pretty name!! Some parents actually do have their kids in pre-k as part of daycare. There's lots of Montesorri (sorry sp) and Goddard Schools that do that. But I didn't know that for pre-K a child had to be tested at age four for it? By that age I thought pre-K age is only tested to get in to Kindergarten early? I'm learning too!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• That's up to your school district and they are the ones to whom you will have to speak. However, it doesn't matter how smart she is if she isn't socially ready. THAT is more what they test for, not academics. They go to preschool to LEARN academics...they have to be socially and emotionally ready.

My oldest has an IQ of 130, and my 3 year old tested at two years older cognitively than his age. That doesn't make them ready for higher grades than they are ready for socially and emotionally. My 5 year old is doing second grade work. He's going into kindergarten next fall.

My 3 year old is doing kindergarten work (and some first grade) but he's not even socially/emotionally ready for pre-k yet.

There is more to it than academics. Much more.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• :-) I am so glad to finally "meet" an Anon that I can have a nice conversation with, lol. It looks like I am still learning too, cause I didn't realize that there were Pre-K schools that were more of a daycare setting.

So, now that I realize that I really don't know much on the subject, lol, out of respect for the Original Poster I will stop posting about something I don't know about, hehe :-)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Some school districts have pre-K. I taught at a school which had K-1 and K-2 with K-2 being the usual kindergarten age and K-1 being a preschool program. Generally there is a heavy emphasis on ready-to-learn skills both academic and practical. My son is in a program currently that is heavily play-based because that's how little kids learn best. It's a 3 hour day and they spent about half that time playing freely with guidance and about half that time working on stuff like fine motor skills (early writing, cutting and sticking) and the basics like colors, shapes, and letters.

OP - your best bet is to contact the school district. Look up their web page, should be easy to find contact info. There might be a pre-K co-ordinator (my district has one, she's in charge of both preschool programs) or if there is no-one specific try emailing the principal of the school.

RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• idk, because the prek where i live is more for kids that may have speech problems or kids that are going to have trouble adjusting to being away from parents, like kids that have never been away from mom, or things in that nature....
    pswife

Answer by pswife at 7:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2009