Here's one for ya'

Why is it that every holiday (with the exception of military/historical holidays) are all Christian? Christmas and Easter (Good Friday or Easter Monday, generally) specifically . . . I understand holidays such as July 4th, Labor day, and the like. Those are important to the nation, but as far as religious observances are concerned, I think more than a few people have been left out.

Why don't we get off for Halloween, one of the most important holidays of the Pagan community?

Why don't we get off for Hanukkah or Yom Kippur, pivotal Jewish holidays?

Why don't we get off for Eid-Al-Adha (Muslim),Krishna Jayanti (Hindu), or Vesak (Buddhist)? These holidays are major in their religions . . .

Has anyone else ever wondered this?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The majority of our country is christian. Majority rules just like the jackass in the Oval Office.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Maybe because the pagan, jewish, muslim, hindu, and buddhist population arent as big as the christian population.
    youngmom3525

Answer by youngmom3525 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• the christian population is majority, plus this country was founded by christians. am i saying that makes it right? no. but thats how it is. if you want to take off for your holiday do so
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Just as the first respondant said, this is a predominantly Christian country and most of the lawmakers are Christian.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• never thought of that be4
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I've often wondered the same then Jenni. and the country was founded by Deists. calling them Christians would be like me calling people from Japan Chinese.

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Actually when I lived in FL (West Palm Beach) we got off of work/school for a lot of the Jewish holidays, because there was a very large Jewish population there. It was so weird when I moved to AL and had to go to school on Yom Kippur and all the other holidays. So I think it has more to do with the majority religions/belief systems in different areas. Maybe if there were places where Hindus or Pagans were the majority or at least a very large part of the population, the holidays would then be celebrated more.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I've often wondered the same thing... When I worked in a resturant I was always the first one to volunteer to work for Christmas or Easter but they gave me trouble when I wanted to take off other days...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• i think if you're a member of another faith, you can get off for religious holidays for your faith. i had a Jewish professor who got off for his Jewish holidays... but i guess Christian is an automatic because more people are? or because, although we're not a Christian nation, Christianity has always been prevalent?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Trust me this won't last very much longer... there will come a day when Christians will not have their holidays and perhaps do away with the idea of Christmas and Easter and the Jewish feasts as well.
    Enjoy it while you can :-)
    America is predominately a '" christian" nation and therefore we have those holidays .... however Islam is not far behind so that will change one day.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2009