How can i stop my 2 yo from throwing fits?

I'm at a lose. Twice in the last 2 weeks we've had to leave a gathering because our 2 yo son starts to throw a fit. Mostly because he wants his own way and cant get it. I dont know what to do. Please someone help. I wanna pull my hair out.

jussomeonesmom

Asked by jussomeonesmom at 11:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he will outgrow it soon ,my oldest son was a tyrant when we went out anywhere if he didnt get his way he screamed his head off ,i started to ignore the fits and gave him a few momnets and he would crawl on my lap and then we would talk about it it just takes time and really it may seem like it takes forever it wont it flies by too fast
    freckles9399

Answer by freckles9399 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• oh and definatly dont give in make sure you mean what you say and stick to it lol lol
    freckles9399

Answer by freckles9399 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Stick to your original word, do not give in this will not help you in the end. Don't pay too much attention to the fit, that is what he wants. HTH
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 11:30 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• be firm...very firm. Get down to his level and tell him in a very firm voice say "not okay". then put him in time out. I have had to put my kids in time out in the car before. Never give into him once you do that it will be very hard to correct it. If he does continue to pitch a fit even after time out then you may have to leave. Good thing this phase is not forever.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• ignoring them is the fastest way as hard as that is sometimes. This is for attention which they usually get weather it's negative or positive it's still attention. Ignore this behavior, if it's interupting then put him in the room and tell him when he is ready to stop crying he can come out.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My 2 yr old son does the same thing. I ignore it whenever I can and definitely don't give in to it. Unfortunately when he gets really mad, he bounces himself off of things making it impossible to ignore. I either hold him tight, usually sort of wrapping his arms around him or lay him down and talk calmly to him until the fit passes. The key is to make sure they can't hurt themselves. I also can't wait for him to outgrow this particular phase.. good luck!
    Anonymous