How do you feel about the Muslim culture?

What are some qualities that popped into your head when you read the question? What ways do you think they live their lives? Is there anything specific you'd be interested in learning about the Islamic culture? How do you feel about the war in the middle east?
*Please no racist remarks, please no disrespect to our military, please no bashing, and please no cussing.*
I'm asking these questions to get ideas for an outline to my research paper that I'm submitting for my whole class to read. I want to learn and write about things that would be interesting. Plus, I'm having kind of a writer's block and I'm hoping for inspiration on a way I want to take the paper. Thanks so much for your input!

bethany_smith

Asked by bethany_smith at 11:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think a great direction for your paper would be the injustice that Muslims face in our country - people find out you're a Muslim and automatically assume you are a member of Al-Qeda or a terrorist. People are detained in airports for hours, sometimes missing their flights if they even LOOK Middle Eastern.

Personally, I have never met a Muslim I didn't like. They all have a zen-like quality to them and are truly happy and content people (from my experience). Most that I have met believe that the attacks on the US were unwarranted and horrible. They also say that the terrorists are not working by "Allah's rule" or by "Mohammed's teachings".
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Well, Islam cuts across many different cultures and many different countries. I don't believe there is one Muslim culture.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:05 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The question is meant for your idea on the culture in whole.
    2nd post had a great idea thanks!
    bethany_smith

Answer by bethany_smith at 11:08 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I don't know much about them... I just bought (although I haven't started reading) Islam for Dummies so that I can find out what it's all about. I don't see Muslim as any different from any other religion though. I think that in this country (US) they are given a bad name because they are a minority and because of the war. What people don't want to realize is that all religions and all cultures have crazy people and those people do crazy things. It doesn't make the entire populus crazy... I think that the war is just horrid. It's terrible that we ever had to step in and it's worse that we are still there. I am terribly sorry for the people that are over there living in hell and respect those that are there trying to help them, but I'm sorry, I think that our country needs to be thought of and fixed before we can fix another.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I feel, based on what I see and hear that they hate women, disrespect their mothers, beat the old ladies in public and are hateful in general. The even mutilate the little girls so they cannot have an orgasm! Hello! They kill people at the drop of a hat. They even raped a girl in public as punishment for her little brother talking to someone in a different social class. (these things I put in here are what I see on the news). I have told my children to not marry someone who is muslim! I am afraid they will hurt my children and then one day grandchildren!

I would feel better if someone who is muslim told me he loves his children and wife. But they don't air that on the news, now do they? The closest thing we see to that is when little girls from over there come here to have surgery and the father is happy someone saved her life. That is it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I don't feel anything about them because I don;t know much about them. I can't make assumptions based on what I don't know. I don't even know anyone who is muslim. I can tell from things I have seen that they are very devout in their faith. Thats about it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:53 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I feel as though they get all the bad publicity for zealots of their religion (see Anon's posting) and no one bothers to understand the culture or the religion. Most people see the abuse of the religion and how the various countries twist it to inflict harm on their people. Islam is a religion of peace and family and many of its traditions are based in valuing its people. My aunt (by marriage) is Muslim (from Malaysia) and she and her family are very good, honest, caring people. I've learned a lot about the traditions and what they mean from her. I've also done my own reflection and research specifically to understand Muslim culture and traditions so that I could educate people that have only seen the distorted version of this wonderful religion. I'm Agnostic, but I see those who truely practice Islam in the same way as I see Christians, Jews, Catholics, Mormons, etc. You need to see the person inside, and not the label.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Anon "The even mutilate the little girls so they cannot have an orgasm! "

Actually, thats a regional/cultural practice and NOT a one based in Islam! Some people that practice female mutilation do 'claim' the Muslim religion, but some do not. The ones that do, are twisting the faith to suit their own purposes.

As for the other things you mentioned, please, educate yourself through research and do not believe all the hateful things you see/hear are a true representation of the religion.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Anon:

I think you are basing your judgments on bias hearsay, rumors, and scare tactics. Everything you are speaking about comes from Muslims in the middle east that are taught a very specific and twisted version of the religion (in one particular region, to be exact). Additionally, the killings, massacres, and mutillations, as ozarkgirl stated, are regional and NOT part of the practices of Islam. They also happen in places like Africa, Asia, South America, and Australia - in areas that have not even heard of Islam or the Muslim faith.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I feel that, like any other religion, they are oppressive and demeaning of women, arrogantly male-dominated, and dangerous to life. As individuals, I don't know any very well, so I have to reserve judgement.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2009