When insurace covers eyes, does that mean the eye exam only? Or is it glasses and everything?

anna3686

Asked by anna3686 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Health

• It depends on your insurance.

Mine allows $150 for Vision. For me that includes exams, frames, lenses, contacts...anything that has to do with my eyes.
    But my SO's vision insurance only covers exams and lenses.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• it depends on your insurance company and employer - their agreement between them. You should be able to go on line in your health insurance website into your own accounts benefit and read what's covered. or call your employee benefits office. Some employers have a third company specifically for eyeglasses and exams that some opticians and eye doctors might participate in by choice too, I forget what it's called but for that, defniitely, your employer's benefits would know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Usually. Its not likely they would cover one and not the other. Sometimes they give just a dollar amt like the PP stated. Look at your card and call the number on it for benefit information or see if they have a website. Its best to speak with a representative and find out for sure before going. Its a pain when you get charged for things that you find out later the insurance didn't cover.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think it depends on the insurance. Mine covers eye exams but not contact eye exams. I also pay for glasses and contacts.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2009