The US is failing as a country . . .

Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Why?

Is it the government's fault, or our fault?

When do you think the downfall (if any) started?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It started when unions began negotiaing wages and not just for safety. The wages got so high inflation came then the jobs left. This is what people who worked in the steel mills told me (1960's). I am sure it was multifactorial.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

Please. Unions are not the reason the country is failing. Corporate GREED has a lot to do with this. So, the little guy does not deserve better compensations? Have you ever belonged to a union? They are VERY important to protecting workers rights.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I agree. I believe it is a mixture of government and citizens. We did get greedy there for a long while. I live in Nevada which wasthe highest growing state in population for 20 years, and now I see miles of land that was dug up, ruined and abandoned. Thousands of "model homes" , empty and unsold over what used to be beautiful fields and rolling hills. We have left huge scars on this country (on so many levels) that may be impossible to fully recover from. The government is part to blame for not being more proactive about such things. Allowing the banks to fully rip people off, and not doing anything about it for so long, seemingly ignoring the problem altogether. Denying rumors of "recession." Focusing more on what was happening in other countries than what was going on directly on our soil. I would say hindsight is 20/20... but with the way everyone disagrees, even hindsight isn't clear anymore.
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 11:30 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think the US Government is failing the nation. I think US citizens place too much hope in their politicians and do not hold them accountable. Hope isn't a strategy people. The "wait and see" mentality of America is the downfall of too many in this nation. I also think to many people have become dependent on the Government to save them and some have less incentive to work hard & save themselves. I think the creation of a Government Assistance Program w/o complete accountability and responsibility (both on the people and the government) began the social downfall of America as a nation of independent hard working citizens. I think giving Fed. Government control of the Education system began the downfall of teaching and learning in America. I think unions started with the best of intentions, but now are more concerned with their fees and membership and contribute to the downfall of US industry.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Wrong choices, Americans are selfish, overindulgent, and live in a I want it now mentality, as well as overspending unecesarily.
    IRA871

Answer by IRA871 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I don't think America is "failing", but I don't think we are doing our best either.

This is both the people and the governments fault. We elect our officials, but sometimes our officals don't represent our intrests;so we are all responsible.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2009