how do you handle a three old that throws fits?

crazyeight04

Asked by crazyeight04 at 11:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son only had a couple of "fits" when he was that age. It was usually about something he wanted and couldn't have. I sat him in the corner and he was not allowed up till he was done freaking out. That usually made him more mad, but i never gave in and he stopped doing it.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Put them in the corner and ignore them until they are done throwing their fit. Repeat as necessary.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• my daughter has an attitude (and she is extremely spoiled.....my fault)...she's doomed (both me and her dad have serious ones) we do the whole time out thing/corner thing...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't...you have to be consistent...( i am defintaely NOT).....so there lies most of the problem.....i usually make her sit on the couch and turn the tv off and she has to sit there for 2-3 minutes....( i heard somewhere it's a minute for every year old they are....i dunno ...but that is what i do) sometimes i just let her throw her fit and then when she is done i tell her to sit in a chair and then i sit with her and talk to her about why she threw the fit....if you talk to your child about their emotions....it helps them to put their "tantrums" into words and hopefully/eventually instead of tantrums they will use their words....yeah....that sounds good in theory...good luck!
    ThinkPink23

Answer by ThinkPink23 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Shaleigh has a few of those but they aren't so bad. We make her go to her room (she absolutely hates being away from others). She will sit and cry in there for a while and I tell her when she is through with her fit she can come out but only if she is through crying and throwing a fit. That usually works and if that doesn't work then we simply walk away from her....after all the reason they throw fits is to get attention and if no one is paying attention they will quit. Good luck
    danssugarbabe

Answer by danssugarbabe at 1:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It depends on where we are and what the fit is about. It's important to remember that at this age they have very little control over their emotions. I try to explain to my daughter why she feels the way she does and I also explain why her body reacts to those feelings.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I agree with the others about walking away and no attention. If one of my kids throw a fit or began to whine, i tll them that i cant understand them and when their done i will listen. I will also send them to their room until they are done. This helps a lot. Try to ignore..the reason for the tantrum is to get attention and to cause as much drama sothey can get what they want. BE CONSISTENT OR IT WONT WORK. good luck..we all understand
    ttm_mommy

Answer by ttm_mommy at 3:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• We have a chair in the laundry room. The laundry room is out of the way and has nothing interesting to do in it. If they throw a fit they go in the chair and they don't come out till they are calm. if they try, we just march them right back in the room.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• if its a fit because he got hurt and isnt getting attention, i cuddle him... if its a fit over something i said no to, i walk away n if he keeps it up, i tell him he has 3 seconds before he goes in time out (he normally stops when i am at 2, and if i reach 3 he goes on his timeout blanket until he stops and listens to me)
    StarsChildren

Answer by StarsChildren at 9:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2009